Monday, January 9, 2017

L'Avventura (1960)

I never connect to Italian films. I don't know what it is...but I just haven't been able to get into what they are serving me. To be fair, though, I don't watch that much. But I have seen like...an okay amount? Both old school and new school, and, honestly? I'm disgusted lol. I don't like how it's done. Whatever their vibe is, I am not jibing with it. 

L'Avventura is no different. It was definitely something I've been wanting to see for a while, though. When I first started doing movie-watching as a hobby, I felt my best bet was to compile a bunch of lists of like all the MUST SEE films. I looked at a bunch of stuff like top 250 AFI or whatever, etc etc, shit like that, and L'Avventura was on most lists like that, so this was def something I've always had in the bank to see. So I get that new FilmStruck app, which I love so far, and they have like so much shit up there ~I've been meaning to see~. A lot I haven't watched because it's like kill me now, but stuff like L'Avventura I just haven't had access to up until recently. So it was lit.

I guess. 

L'Avventura is about...some rich bitch named Anna who disappears on some bougie yacht outing she and her rich bitch squad are having out in the middle of the ocean or some shit. Anna seems unhappy, in like a general malaise, existential crisis sort of way. It comes across like she's frustrated with the long distance relationship she has with her boo, Sandro. Idk, fast forward to her ~disappearing~. There's speculation she drowned, but also a strong feeling amongst the group that she kind of just dipped. So they search for her. During this search, I guess?, Anna's best friend Claudia and Sandro ~fall in love~?? 

Girl, I guess!! 

Like after Anna disappears, like the whole rest of the movie is Claudia and Sandro's weird, uncomfortable ass courtship? They def spend the rest of the movie kind of searching for Anna, but also Claudia gets to the point where she's wishing Anna will stay gone forever?? So she can keep sliding up on her boo, I guess??? THEN SANDRO HAS THE NERVE TO CHEAT ON CLAUDIA. I'm screaming, what an Italian nigga thing to do. Your main girl goes missing? Check, cool. So you start searching for her with her best friend? Check. Y'all start kissing and shit. Makes sense. You basically pre-married to this ho now, so natch, you gotta step out. How are you cheating on the bitch you cheating on your possibly dead but probably just "missing" girlfriend with??????? But more importantly, why is this pretty prime drama, but I cared naught at all??? 

Like, I was bored. Idk what the fuck Italians be on about, honestly. This movie need to be some cheesy American thriller as far as I'm concerned. That is more digestible for my corny ass, okay? Idk what these Italy bitches be saying, okay??? And yes I had subtitles, and NO IT DIDN'T HELP. Translate the nonsense, not just the language, feel me?? 

No, probably not. I'm def watching more Monica Vitti films, though. If I watch Italian films for anything, it's gorgeous bitches. If I get a super-gorj or enigmatic leading lady, you got me. Not, like, to like your film, but to watch at least. That's enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey