Friday, May 15, 2015

For the Love of Nancy (1994)

Watched this on youtube; took 12 million blurry screencaps, part II.

I love shitty made for tv movies about eating disorders. There should be way more. The only ones I can really think about right now are The Hunger Point (a classic), and the one with Meredith Baxter-Birney shoveling all that food in her mouth like she's the sort of person who takes all-you-can-eat as some sort of personal challenge. Are there other eating disorder-centric films? I'm sure, and they've probably all premiered on Lifetime. I need them all. For the Love of Nancy is one of the more famous made for tv eating disorder movies, right? Is it, like, the magnum opus? Considering how Tracey Gold actually had an eating disorder - I believe she was recovering - while filming this very movie? Possibly not yet in the recovery stages??? That's hardcore af to film a movie about a woman struggling with anorexia while actually having anorexia. Though, you have to consider how they cast something like The Hunger Point. Is that actress just naturally skinny, did she have to lose weight to play that part, or...is it something else? I think I've seen another movie or show or something where a character had an eating disorder and she was shockingly thin and I'm wondering like...how do they go about...this? How did they do casting? Was it like "looking for actresses who look like they have anorexia??" Is that like a not totally lowkey way of just calling for actresses who have anorexia?? I feel uncomfortable! Let's recap the movie now!!

Is this one of those pretend ~based on a true story~ things? Like how they said The Strangers was based on actual events but they were only talking about the part where some weird person came up to a house and asked for her friend. lol and then like the other 90 minutes of the film were entirely fictional? Is this like that? To make you think you're watching a true story but like worded weirdly so you can't actually tell they're basically just saying "Here's some made up shit about a girl with an eating disorder based on nothing but some shit a bitch imagined"??? Also, why was I already screencapping 00:00:01 into the movie? Because! I only watched this! To blog! About! It!! That's why!

The title card. Nancy is jogging. 

Nancy is still jogging. I think I took this because the names made me laugh and I envisioned this Cameron Bancroft character and Mark Paul Gosselaar of Saved by the Bell: The College Years fame were going to be playing a pair of big white sneaker wearing douches. I was sort of wrong? Like, they definitely wore big white sneakers, but they weren't really douches. Well MPG, wasn't. Cameron was a little bit of a dick? But not really. 100% he was the voice of reason. Like, JUST EAT FOOD, NANCY, duhhhhh!!

They're Nancy's brothers. They watch TV and eat chips and drink Coke. Just bros being bros. I entirely forgot why I screencapped this, though. Like, it was for a reason. Maybe because of Mark?? Idk who cares lol. Wait, but let's talk about...like...how old are they supposed to be? They both look full-grown. I guess Mark could pass for high school age, even though he totally has that like post-college, sort of stocky ~I'm in the workforce now~ body. And Cameron Bancroft? lol, this nigga is like thirty, at least. Is he in school, or just like a thirty-five year old still chillin' at home? Nah, like, that's cool, fam. But why are you all up in Nancy's business, is what I'm saying? You have your own problems, brother, let's just keep it 100. 

Nancy is looking at her prom dress in the mirror
Her mom comes in like, "wtf?". Because I think the mom had picked out some other shit, but Nancy chose a red dress instead. This scene is here to showcase how overwhelming and meddling Nancy's mom is. Jill Clayburgh is so fucking annoying in this movie as the mom, but that was good, I think. Like, people are always looking for a reason for why a kid gets fucked up. Look towards the parents. Definitely Jill Clayburgh refusing to let Nancy make her own decisions, contributed to her developing anorexia. Though, that's not the only reason. It's just one factor. But Nancy's lack of control definitely explains why she starts starving herself, etc. to gain it back. But seriously, Jill was really fucking annoying. I mean, good job, but also ugh. 

Here the mom is being passive aggressive like a true mom. She's like "idk, it's up to you, but black is so classic, red is so slutty, but whatever, whatever you saaay!!!" lol, enough. 

Nancy goes to prom. Here are some blurry screencaps from that. I took them because everyone was being really cheesy and white and embarrassing and early-nineties. Wow, the nineties were really tragic. At least the eighties had AIDS to give them some edge, you know? What did the nineties have? The Lewinsky ~scandal~? lol some white bitch gave a dude a blowjob wow omg. How alt. Tragic.
lol these screencaps are a mess. Just know these niggas were doing like the honky tonk or some shit. Just know.

Nancy is dancing with some idiot. I don't think he's ever properly introduced. He's just her irrelevant prom date. And it's weird that he doesn't really even get a name because Nancy keeps going on and on about how she's having so much fun and this is the best night of her life and she never wants it to end and all this mess lol and we don't even know this dude's name. Lol or maybe they said it but I immediately forgot it because he was so irrelevant??

Nancy and her goober friends go to some park after prom. It's so like if Barney had a college years show, right? Like omg guise after prom let's go to the playground and have some 'za and chug some crystal pepsi and just be totally chill and tubular!!! lol and where did the blankets come from? Did one of these lame-os just happen to have blankets in their car? What a bunch of Pleasantville ass little freaks. 

Nancy starts talking about how ~these are the best years of our lives~, guise. 
I hate people who talk about high school as the best fucking years of their life. That's extremely pathetic. And anyone who had a good time in high school is lame af. I was super embarrassed for Nancy in this scene. Her friends are talking about their futures and shit and they ask Nancy what she wants to do and she's like "Tbh, idk". That's totally normal. To not know wtf you want to do with your life. Like, does anyone? But to hold on to your high school years because you're afraid of the future is................................................................idk. Like, I had acne when I was in high school and also I wanted to die all the time so I guess I just can't relate lol. Like, I'd be holding on to memories of very terrible episodes of One Tree Hill, which I lived vicariously through. There's no way I want to go back to when Peyton used to date Nathan, you know? Those were dark times. Nathan + Haley = 4ever. 

So, anyway, while Nancy is talking about how high school is the best it's gonna get, her friends are all like
Does this properly capture how not into it they were? Like it was very *crickets*. I don't think this picture is really showing how much they were not really picking up what the fuck Nancy was putting down. Like, what is that guy in the back doing? Well, if he's asleep, then yes, then this does properly capture their 100% "..." response. 

Nancy gets home from the prom and Zack is sleeping on the couch. Very obviously fake-sleeping, but okay. Like, was he waiting up for her?? Let's just SKIP AHEAD TO ME TALKING IN ALL CAPS ABOUT THEIR INCESTUOUS UNDERTONES THAT WERE ACTUALLY OVERTONES. 
They were 100% that bro/sis duo in that Folger's coffee commercial where he brings his sister back dick and she's like lol my gift to you is coffee :))). 

LIKE. Is this a mouth or cheek kiss? I think maybe Nancy's face is slightly turned. BUT I WANT IT TO BE A MOUTH KISS BECAUSE I AM DEEPLY DISTURBED. And then after this Zack is all like "You comin' up?" to Nancy and she's like "I'll be up in a minute." WHAT IS HE ASKING HER 'YOU COMIN' UP' FOR???? DO THEY GO TO BED AT THE SAME TIME? DO THEY SHARE ROOMS? Look, no, this is only something spouses say to each other when they sleep in the same bed and idc their relationship was weird but also I got my life because I love incest. Just do. Like, in movies and stuff. Probably not in real life probably. 

Here's a blurry pic of Nancy coming home from getting her wisdom teeth removed. I must note that Nancy didn't want to get her teeth removed, but her mother scheduled an appointment for her without her knowledge/consent. So there's the mother again, meddling in her almost grown daughter's business. Okay, maybe being barely out of high school, it makes sense for the mom to still be handling doctor/dentist appointments. But at least give your kid a heads up. It's the brother who tells Nancy about the appointment? lol and then Nancy is all mad like "THE DAY AFTER PROM?!?!" It's not the day after 9/11, Nancy. Focus on being mad about how she just straight-up didn't tell you about it. 

But anyway the wisdom teeth removal was important because I knew it signaled the start of her anorexia coming in full-force. I'm like, "She's going to start turning down food and blame it on her tooth pain" and sure enough in the next scene that's exactly what she's doing. Alright, let's get it poppin'!!

Yeah, Nancy is at work. Her co-worker has some big ass disgusting like tunafish sandwich. She's like OMG IT'S SO BIG I CAN'T EAT ALL OF THIS. She offers Nancy half. Nancy is looking at it like it's some big, heaping juicy angus beef burger or something, instead of the disgusting mayonnaise and fish clogged atrocity that it is. It looks...soggy. Ugh lol. But she turns the sandwich down because it's eating disorder time at this point in the motherfucking game. The co-worker is like COME ON I CAN'T EAT ALL THIS!! Um, she said no. Don't be weird. 
Here she is eating it. You seem to be managing fine, strange co-worker of Nancy's. 

In this scene, Nancy is eating a plate of leaves. She's mad at her mom because her mom called her college and made arrangements for Nancy to have a roommate. A few scenes prior, Nancy got word from her college that she'd be in a single room. She was excited, as I'd imagine most people would be???? Who the fuck wants a roommate? But her mom is all like, "Why do you want to be alone??? You should want a roommate! FRIENDS!!!" Then fast-forward to this^ fucking scene where she's all casually like "Oh yeah I called the school and had your rooming assignment changed." Who the fuck? This bitch be really out of line, I swear to god. Nancy, rightfully, in my opinion, gets an attitude. Brother #2 is like "Why don't you want a roommate?? You should want one blah blah." Nancy turns to him like,
"Why is it your business?" I forgot exactly what she said but it was so fucking funny. Like, exaaaacctttly. Mind your business, random thirty-five year old still chillin' @ the crib!! 

Nancy gets up from the table in a huff and the mom has the audacity to be like, "Idk what's going on with her lately, etc etc." Acting all oblivious like she isn't constantly all up in her daughter's fucking business and trying to control her entire life, but okaaay

SO IN THIS SCENE ZACK MORRIS COMES UP TO COLLECT NANCY'S BOXES FOR COLLEGE AND  SHIT. HER BOXES FOR MOVING INTO HER DORM UGH. CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW SHE HAS ONE FILLED WITH TEDDY BEARS OR?? 
ZACK IS ALL LIKE, "HEY, HAVE YOU LOST WEIGHT??" NANCY IS LIKE "HA. NO. STILL 120 LBS." For some reason. Indicating he knows her usual weight? Like, ha, no, still the same lbs I recorded in that journal you make me keep detailing my weight fluctuations!!! THEN ZACK IS LIKE, "OH, YOU LOOK GOOD." AND NANCY IS LIKE THANKS. AND FOR SOME REASON HE'S STARING AT HER LIKE ADORINGLY AND FULL OF LUST OR SOMETHING???

AM I BUGGIN OR
ARE THESE FUCKING LIKE AMOROUS GLANCES??!!? It's so much worse in motion, I swear. It really was weird, I don't think I'm projecting, even though totally I probably am. 

Oh, Nancy's mom told her to take her breakfast upstairs while she finished packing. Nancy looks down at the tray after Zack tells her she looks good and you can tell she's thinking, like, "Welp, can't eat this if I want to keep looking hot for my bro". Can we talk about how gross this breakfast looks? Gross bran cereal with a disproportionate amount of milk. It should always be less milk than cereal, come on, that's science 101. And then what appears to be some horrible bran muffin? Bran muffin and bran cereal. Is this bitch constipated? Ya know, prob! But...pretty sure Nancy's mom put this mess together, and she doesn't know about her daughter's eating issues yet, so...what's up with all the fiber? And this is just too many carbs for the morn. Cereal or muffin, not both. Science 102, fam. And then that sad ass glass of orange juice. And it looks like that cheap, watery kind? Gross. I'd toss all that shit in the trash, too. Not because I have an eating disorder, though, which is why Nancy throws it away...

Also, can we talk about how Nancy is constantly throwing whole meals away and we never see her actually eat until like fifty minutes into the film? She would've been dead like the first three days of this shit, the way the movie portrays her constantly just throwing things away. Does anorexia work like this? I'd imagine you nibble on most meals, but you're not throwing like 98% of your meals away. That's insane, you'd die so soon! This movie does a terrible job, I think, portraying the disease. I mean, I don't know too much about it, but it's like they just want to keep shoving down your throat (ironic?) how, like, totally Nancy never eats!! If she didn't eat as much as the movie wants you to believe, 100% she would've died like immediately, come on. Science 103. 

Nancy goes to weigh herself and we see that she is actually 114lbs, not 120, like she said. It's totally suspicious that her response to Zack's "Have you lost weight?" was "NOPE. EXACTLY 120 LBS AS USUAL." Who keeps tabs on their weight like that? I have no fucking idea how much I weigh. 150? 215? 373? Idk, man! Definitely if someone told me I looked like I lost weight I'd be like, "ugh, gross." Certainly I would not bark back to them what my exact current weight is. Also certainly I wouldn't point out that that number has been the same for an extended period of time, because that seems like unhealthy behavior, to just always be knowing your weight number. Like, do I want to even get into how maybe Nancy lowkey always had an eating disorder and this shit was fostered by maybe an unhealthy attitude her family has about eating/weight, etc? Like, so weird. And for Zack to be so "!!you lost weight!!" Just tell the bitch she looks nice, why does it have to be because she lost six fucking pounds? So gross ugugh

The name of Nancy's school is Norris College and I thought that was funny for some reason, so that's why this shit-ass screencap.

Nancy immediately wants to go home lol as soon as she and her mom roll up to the school. Nancy's mom is all like, "Don't be ridiculous, etc." but in like her annoying, always vaguely patronizing tone. She's like, "You'll make friends, join clubs, blah blah." 
Some random bitch comes up to the car and is like "HEY MY NAME IS BLAH BLAH OMG HOW R U WE'RE GOING TO BE HALL MATES" or some shit. This is deja vúish. I remember my first days at college, and people being hype as fuck. Though, unlike Nancy, I actually wanted to be there. lol, at first. That hype ass peppiness never went away. Not for me, dawg, so I totally feel Nancy here. 

These are some hall mates of Nancy's. She runs by the door and the one in overalls is all "Come join us, Nance! Have a slice of 'za!" Nancy says how she has to go run or study or some shit. The girl tells Nancy to take a slice of 'za for on the go. After Nancy jogs away, the black one starts talking about how she thinks Nancy is weird. "Run and study, run and study, that's all she does. I tell you, that girl is weird." Lol, I was ~the weird one~ in college, so I can't relate to the black one's sentiments. Though I can relate to talking shit about people who choose to run and study. Like, why? Why exercise and learn knowledge? For what??? Sit down and have some 'za! 

Nancy goes to her room and throws the slice of 'za in the garbage. CRIMINAL. And when the fuck does this bitch eat?? In the youtube comments (u g h) a bunch of people were all like "Where does she get the energy to do all that exercise?" YO, EXACTLY. Is there some weird adrenaline thing that happens when you're starving yourself? I mean, come on! Science 104! I eat all the time and I can barely walk up a flight of stairs without getting out breath. Wait...

Nancy is doing some OCD-type stuff, organizing the brushes atop her bureau. I've read that anorexia and OCD are linked. Right? It's like the same fucked-up brain stuff going on? Though, Nancy putting the brushes in their exact spot is not necessarily OCD? Could it just be anxiety? And like, she's constantly seeking for ways to control...anything in her life, I guess? Anyway, I don't have a PhD. I have nothing. I dropped out of college after a year and then worked at Target. I don't even have a Target card thing. I lost it, or they took it away or something. 

Nancy goes home for a weekend? Her family is worried because she's not getting out of bed. Her mom forces her to get up when her friend comes to visit her. Nancy is all crossed-arms, not into this social interaction at all. She looks thin as hell. 
Her friend is eating chips and Nancy is like "Do you know how many calories you just ate? Like a thousand." Her friend is like ":DDD You only live once, right?? :DD" Then she's begging Nancy to go out to some party, how they won't have a chance to hang out again if Nancy doesn't go. 

Nancy is measuring her wrists, barely paying attention to this bitch talking. I measure my wrists all the time, monitoring my fatness. As long as I can clasp my thumb and middle, I'm good. Like, not in general - I can just probably not have to worry about someone requesting a seat change if I'm riding an airplane to fucking nowhere. Also, omg, do ppl really raise their hands when they're sitting next to a really big person on the plane and ask the stewardess to move them? Is that a real thing or just something I read about on feminist websites where someone's always writing about how they were fat shamed by some cashier at Taco Bell or some shit?? You want how many dorito crunchwrap supremes or whatever? Like, what cashier questions food orders? Lol, no, that happens to me all the time at McDonald's, though. Like when I order just black coffee. Because it's apparently so weird to just drink black coffee (I don't, I just put shit in it when I get home), or maybe they're disgusted someone would drink McDonald's coffee as is? Okay, no, the latter makes sense. What am I doing rn, though??

The fam is at a restaurant. All Nancy has, per ush, are leaves on her plate. 
She didn't eat the leaves. The waiter picks up her plate and asks if there was something wrong with the food and Nancy is like "The dressing was weird". OH KAY. I think the bros throw some jokes around about how Nancy never eats, and Nancy gets really serious like "It's not funny." Hello, she has a problem. But no, we'll wait til later in the film when the problem has become super-extreme, to realize this! Yayay. But also in this scene, Brother #2 shows himself to be the one who's always saying "lol just eat". He's a very simple sort, but at the same time you're sort of nodding at everything he says. Like, yeah lol, just eat!!! :DD

The mom is at some exercise class with her friend. The friend is like "I saw Nancy......................." Using, like, way too many ellipses in her tone. She's "concerned". Nancy looks too thin. The whole time this bitch is confronting Jill Clayburgh, I'm looking @ her like "...Who's too thin?" Literally there's a shot of the woman's ankles and they look snappable. And look at Jill's arms. Everyone has a eating disorder, eating disorders for everyone!!! 

Jill gets an attitude. Like, "Ridiculous! You're crazy! Nancy's fine!" Ugh, whatever. Like, yeah, okay, defend your kid, I guess? Lol especially when the bitch is like, "I talked to a doctor..." lol why are you talking to a doctor about some kid that's not yours? Come on, fall back. So, like, natch, Jill is gonna be hella defensive. But also at the same time, maybe listen? Like, maybe acknowledge Nancy totally has a problem?? If some bitch with a clear eating disorder herself is saying Nancy has an eating disorder, like she prob does. It takes one to know one, you know???????????????????? 

The mom has some random brother. Oh, also, the dad has some weird job and the mom works there, too? Like, it doesn't matter, but randomly they work at like an aviation center and the dad owns planes? Like, lol, okay. Like it's just weird to me the parents don't have ~typical~ jobs. Anyway, the mom's random brother pops up to the airplane place. I remember capping this part because I was like "???" @ him. Like, what is his purpose. Also, he talks a lot like he has extensive knowledge of eating disorders and I kept asking aloud to myself because I'll be dying alone, "But why does he know this??" I guess later it turns out someone in his "group" has an eating disorder. His group is his like alcoholics' anonymous group? Like, yeah, let me take advice from this nigga. Anyway, he's all excited because he found a Christmas gift for Nancy. I think he definitely brings up that he's worried about Nancy, or the mom brings up the conversation with her friend? Idk, but totally I think he drops a nugget of eating disorder wisdom on the mom and she has a ~serious think~ alone to herself. But they also show her sort of shrugging it off. So, okay, let's continue to be in denial. That usually works. 

Oh, this was funny. When Nancy is washing dishes after dinner and bro #2 comes in holding a plate and is like "You know how I know this is your plate?"
*dramatically unwraps the napkin* "All the food is still on it." Lol, like. First of all, how sloppy can Nancy be? You hide all your food in a napkin, leave it on the plate, and then just abandon your shit at the table? Uh, hello, surreptitiously remove all items from the table so no one discovers your secret!! And you're on clean-up duty, so it should have been so easy!! What a dolt. 

The bro and Nancy start arguing, he's going @ her for never eating. Nancy is like "mind your beeswax". They get a little loud. The parents come in and are like "Ayo, what's goin on???" Nancy lies and says she dropped a knife down the garbage disposal. The mom is like "NOT ONE OF MY GOOD KNIVES???" Then the bro is like "No, I got it out in time." And I sort of felt relieved for Nancy that he went along with her fib???? What have I become?? I should be on team helping Nancy conquer her anorexia. Not rooting for her to get away with lies?!??! Idk, I think I'd just be annoyed if Bro #2 like tattled on Nancy like some little goober. No snitchin'. Even if that means your sister dies from anorexia nervosa. Keep your lips zipped, or get zipped...up in a body bag, ya feel me?????

Nancy is doing like suicides up and down the bleachers at school. I think...this was directly after a scene where she was forced to eat to keep up appearances, right? Like someone pointed out her lack of eating an--oh, I think it was with her family, actually, right? The mom and dad were talking and the mom is like "Did you see how much she ate???" So I'm guessing she ate to appease them and then cut to her running like crazy up and down these bleachers. 
She falls from exhaustion. Like, if you're not going to eat, at least throw back some Gatorade every now and again??

Nancy is at home looking at herself in the mirror. What...is that underwear? 
The mom walks in and is shocked by the ugly panties, as well. 
She's fucking crying and going "omg omgmg". Like, this was hilarious. It 100% should not have been, but it 100% was was was. Never, like, react in a shocked way to someone's body. It is so rude. Also, am I weird for thinking her body didn't look that shocking? Like, really, at all??? It doesn't look...totally healthy, but you'd think by Jill Clayburgh's reaction, she was getting a glimpse beneath Voldemort's robes or some shit. 
Like, is this really that serious??? Also, why is the mom acting like this? Your daughter has been super-skinny this whole time!! Oversize clothes weren't hiding shit! Give me a fucking break with all the dramatics, seriously. 

The mom runs outside to where the dad and her brother are...picking up logs?? She's high-drama. "omgomg!! SHE'S SO THIN! LIKE A SKELETON!! SHE'S A DEMENTOR!!" It's really too much. And, like, the mom is the same size??? Sickly tree branch calling the other sickly tree branch sickly tree branch, you know??? 

Nancy debuts. For some reason, this showcased how tiny she was more than when she was just in her underwear. Black really is slimming :)

Everyone at the party is looking at Nancy like, "^^^^^^^^^". Who is that woman? How dare she be giving up and down looks at another bitch. Fix your bangs, ho. 

Brother number two has the perfect nose to be dishing out judgmental glances. What beauty. 

Nancy looks like she's about to shatter or something. It's really weird she chose this sort of dress. She's been covering her body up a lot, right? Or had we just been seeing her mostly exercise and she was just wearing exercise clothes? But it's typical for anorexics to cover up their diminishing frame by wearing large, baggy clothing, right? Why is she so overtly showcasing her skeleton?? Everyone is like ">.> omgmmgg", whispering very audibly about how thin she looks, etc etc. This is a mess, and also it doesn't seem realistic. Nancy knows she has a problem, and she's been "smart" enough in the past to hide her sickness and behaviors, so her waltzing out in this skimpy dress like she thinks she's the belle of the ball just does not make any sense. But okay, movie. You needed a scene where everyone could finally be like IT'S KAREN CARPENTER ALL OVER AGAIN!! Oh, and now I'm remembering another sort of eating disorder movie. The Karen Carpenter Story or something like that, right? I need to rewatch that. I remember that movie having one of those terrible endings where you're watching a movie about a person you know who dies but they don't have the person die in the movie they just talk about it in the end credits - like, no. 

This was post-party. Her parents were sort of yelling at her? Like, "OKAY, NOW. YOU LISTEN. YOU'RE GOING TO EAT." And Nancy is nodding like, "Okay!" And they're like, "OKAY, YOU BETTER EAT!!" And Nancy is like, "Yeah, okay, [parents], I'll eat!" Problem fucking solved. 

The mom's brother visits her or something and is like, "This is serious!!! Nancy has a problem!! She needs help!!" Like, lol, get out of here. He suggests this in-patient clinic that specializes in eating disorders. I guess his friend from "group" told him about it?? 

Nancy goes to see her uncle and tell him to mind his business, I guess? Also I think she tells him to call the mom and take back what he said about that eating disorder center? lol, idk wtf. She's like, "I'm over eighteen, I don't have to go!!" It's weird how Nancy never says her actual age? Like several times in the movie she says she's "over eighteen". Like, how exactly old are you? What is the exact number? I just thought it was weird she wouldn't say, "I'm nineteen" or "I'm of legal age"? Idk lol it was weird. 

The parents take Nancy to the eating disorder clinic anyway?? Seriously, if she's "over eighteen" so much, why didn't she just not go?? Like, who would willingly go?? I forgot exactly what transpired, but I don't even think they were really threatening her at this point in the movie. And any threats they make, they're never the type that the people on Intervention tell you to do. Like if your son is a heroin addict you're supposed to be like, "Well, you can't stay at my house anymore if you keep doing heroin, and I won't let you play the games on my phone." And the son is supposed to be really shook by his support system being taken away, right? And so he agrees to go to rehab only to get kicked out seventeen days later but in the update it says he says he hasn't done heroin since August 2014 so who knows??? But Nancy's parents never say, "Well, we'll kick you out" or "We won't you let have any more curl activator" or anything like that, so why does she so immediately cave to going to the hospital?? Also, this place is hardcore. That bitch^ is in a wheelchair. I would immediately run out of there and into the nearest fucking Burger King if I walked into some place where a bitch was in a wheelchair and all she had to do to not be in a wheelchair was eat some fucking food. That would be all the "help" I needed, seeing that shit. But okay, Nancy keeps walking further into this place, so I guess she needs more shocking images to nudge her along?? 

This is the therapist or whatever at the eating disorder place. He's giving looks. 

The parents are getting hype in their meeting with him. The mom is like "WHY IS SHE DOING THIS TO US????!?!?!" Ugh. Then they ask him how long it'll take to "cure" Nancy. The doc is like "idk, bitch". Well, he like, shrugs, which is like the body language equivalent of that. 

This was funny.
The brothers are outside awaiting the parents return from the hospital. When the parents get there, they're all like, "How did everything go?? How's Nancy??? etc etc". The parents answer something like, "She's getting the help she needs." They go inside. The brothers stay outside and say stuff about Nancy, probably how they hope she'll get better. Then bro #2, the voice of reason, is like, "lol why won't she just eat???" And Zack is all like, "Everything's so fucking simple for you, isn't it??"
And then he like huffily^ walks back into the house lol. But who else is on team bro #2? Like, lol JUST EAT, DUHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

This is some sort of group therapy thing they have to do at the eating disorder clinic. This bitch is talking about her terrible childhood or some such shit like that. 
Nancy is like "ugh", but with her face, and she's like bored or irritated or both. Which is 100% how I'd be if I were doing some shit like this. I'd be completely resistant from minute 1, which Nancy definitely is. 
I think therapist dude asks Nancy if she has something to say, and Nancy talks about how this is all bullshit. Therapist dude asks Nancy what recovery means to her and she says, "FAT." Well.
Then she's dramatic and storms out. She like immediately regrets it as she's standing in the hall, but doesn't ultimately go back in. This is all paint by the numbers. Resistant to therapy, storming out of group sessions, being like "this is bullshit!!", seemingly being the ~only one~ in this place to have opposition or lack of interest in getting better. Like, lol, oh-okay. I'm just glad they didn't go even more cliché with any sort of breakthrough scenes. At least not at this point in the movie ugh. 

Nancy is being obvious and hiding food. Like, she's not even sneaky?? Also, you're at an eating disorder clinic? Like, the whole point of the people working there is to try to monitor your fucking eating disorder. Soooo........NATURALLY, she's caught by one of the workers. She's like, "Nancy, put it back!!" That shit is soo embarrassing, no? Or do all the other eating disorder patients get it?? Idk, I'd be embarrassed if some nurse or whatever was yelling at me to put my food back on my tray like I was a toddler or some shit. 

There's some sort of snack time at the center. This is sincerely infantilizing. But I guess it has to be that way? Nancy is dumb and takes her whole snack tray to the window and tries to set it out on the ledge or something? The snack looks gross. Like, I think I see a carton of chocolate milk. Why a lot of times when I've drank cartons of chocolate milk there was always...like, chunks? Like, weird chunks in it????? So, like, past experience with carton chocolate milk would cause me to toss my shit out a window, too. Maybe that's why Nancy was getting rid of her shit probably. 
That same nurse who scolded her a few scenes prior, comes swooping over to tell Nancy to get away from the window. She definitely has a patronizing tone. I can't imagine this helps patients? Treating them like little kids? Though, I guess, not eating is sort of tantrum-like behavior? And, definitely, trying to throw food out a window is???? Nancy gets buck with this bitch and smacks the tray out of her hand. Lol, okay, well, yeah, then yes, you do deserve to be treated like a child. 

Nancy claims she's too weak to eat in the cafeteria, so the therapist doctor dude has a nurse deliver her meals to her. "Make sure she eats," he firmly tells that nurse bitch. So, right away, I knew no one would be making sure anyone ate lol. Science 105. The nurse brings Nancy her tray. She stands there. Nancy says something like..."okay can you leave?" The nurse goes to leave but first she secures the window shut??? And then she locks the bathroom?? Nancy is like, "What if I have to shit?" And the nurse tells her to buzz for someone to come in and unlock the door or something?? Idk. But as soon as she leaves, Nancy gets up and finds an entirely unlocked storage closet which was right fucking next to the bathroom like are you kidding me, movie??? 

Nancy carves out a hole in the wall of that storage closet and stuffs all her food into it. Then she jams like some towels and sheets or some shit in after it. Just to be safe, I guess? As if anyone's going to fucking check the closet they didn't bother to lock in the first place? This was another time where I found myself wondering when exactly Nancy ate. She just chucks the whole meal into the wall and it's like okay, now you're going to be super-hungry?? This movie is weird. PLEASE SHOW HER EATING SOMETIMES! IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE FOR HER TO NEVER EVER EAT!!! SHE WOULD DIE HELLO!! 

They at least sort of finally address the super-seriousness of Nancy never ever eating, by putting her on IV. I mean, I guess? This isn't a feeding tube, though, is it? Like, it's just nutrients? Doesn't she need actual...food items in her body or?? 
Anyway, Nancy severs the tube.

Nancy gets weighed and the nurse is like ":DDD You've gained six pounds! :DD" I was reading in the youtube comments ( u gh ) that it was totally disrespectful for the nurse to tell Nancy how much weight she's gained; that it would discourage her from wanting to continue treatment? And I definitely agree that excitedly blurting out that a woman whose whole life has become starving herself, has failed and gained weight. Because that's what they think of it as, right? A failure? At least at this early point in recovery. Nancy's reaction is wholly a negative one. Also: how did Nancy gain six pounds? From what?? The piss IV?? I don't think so, but oh-kay.

Nancy leaves the center. Like, why did you even go in the first place but ok. She's all like "I'm ~over eighteen~, I can sign myself out!!!" Why did you sign yourself in??? 

The doc is really giving me aesthetic and looks this entire movie. The nurse is like "omg did Nancy sign herself out?" And the doc is like "yis" and the nurse is like "lol not a good idea, bro. She's like, so ill and shit." Yep, but she's "over eighteen", so she can do what she wants!!! 

Nancy called her mom to pick her up. The mom looks worried and shit. Nancy is like "I'm better! I gained six pounds :DDD" lol, that wasn't your reaction when you found out but okay but also your mom doesn't believe you, which explains why
she's immediately on the phone to the doc like, "WHY DID YOU LET HER LEAVE???" The doc is like "She's over eighteen, so." The mom is like, "SHE NEEDS HELP SHE LOOKS TERRIBLE. VERY NOT TEEN VOGUE COVER MATERIAL, FOR CERTAIN!!" 
Nancy walks up the door while the mom is talking, quite loudly, on the phone to the doctor. !!!SHE NEEDS HELP!!! But the mom is trying to be surreptitious? lol, but all the dramatics, though? That's not sneaky at all but okay. I don't think Nancy hears, though. She just comes up like "Hey, mom." Jill Clayburgh pretends she was ordering pizza or talking to the plumber or something, and immediately hangs up. 
The mom is like, ":DD How about something to eat??! :DD" Nancy is like ":DDD I could go for some coffee!! :DD" She didn't say coffee, bitch. Siiiigh. 

Nancy has made macaroni for Zack for some reason? She just, like, made him a whole thing of homeade macaroni? Who does this? Who just makes a whole thing of macaroni in the middle of the day for no reason? What anorexic does this? Or, right, it's like a thing for a lot of anorexics to cook but never actually eat their food. They serve other people. Like how Goop is always talking about making brick oven pizzas for her family and shit?? I don't think, if I were anorexic, I could stand to be around food in that capacity. Like, how do you get satisfaction simply by handling it? These people are hardcore. 

Nancy gives Zack a heaping serving of macaroni. She puts none on her plate lol come on. He says something like, "You gonna get some?" I think she throws out some vague lie about how she ate earlier, but there's definitely pressure from him for her to eat some of that fucking macaroni, right now
So Nancy gets a little bit and puts it on her plate. 
Zack is looking like^
Then they get into sort of a fight. Zack talks about how he knows she lies about eating or something? And how she doesn't look like she's getting better? lol but he's like eating and reading a magazine while yelling @ her about a serious subject? Nancy spazzes and is like "LEAVE ME ALONE!! I'M TRYING!!!!" 

Nancy's mom is in her room and finds all these plates of uneaten food under her bed. What is this? Daisy in Girl, Interrupted did this with her chickens. But at least Daisy ate her chickens?? PUT THIS SHIT IN THE GARBAGE?!! Like, hello. Why does Nancy do like everything as if she wants to be caught? Are these cries for help or?? This food will cause smells and then someone will come sniffing around eventually, you idiot! Her mom does, of course, but she doesn't even mention smells. I know that shit stinks!

Nancy has just come up from her fight with Zack, holding her plate of macaroni. She doesn't ask why her mom is in her room, and barely reacts to the mom asking about the plates. She's just like, "Oh, I came up here to eat my macaroni." The mom is like, "I don't believe you. You were going to hide it under your bed." or some shit. I was just mildly astounded she was even confronting Nancy like this. 
Nancy is all like, "I had a sandwich at work." Then the mom gets up in Nancy's face, like, "YOU'RE LYING!! YOU'RE ALWAYS LYING!!" I was like, oh shit. lol No one believes you were going to eat that macaroni, Nancy. The jig is up. 

The mom goes down to Nancy's job and starts yelling at the two workers there. Well, first she asks them if they saw Nancy eat a sandwich. They're like, "She never eats here." Then the mom starts spazzing, "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING?? WHY DON'T YOU SAY ANYTHING?? WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME???? DON'T YOU SEE SHE NEEDS HELP???" all this shit. 
The worker bitch is like, "Um, excuse me, cunt. She's not my kid. She's not my responsibility, so fall waaaaay the heck back." The other one is weaker and says how he tried to tell Nancy to eat blah blah. Let's ignore him and refocus on the bitch who just got 100% buck with the mom. What is that shirt? Look at that starched ass popped collar. True star of this film?? Jill Clayburgh apologizes, though, for popping off in this sandwich shop. As she should have. What are these sandwich worker bitches supposed to do - shove an Italian sub down with gross onion strings and like way too much mayonnaise on it down Nancy's throat?? 

The mom and the men of the house have a backyard conference about Nancy. The mom keeps having these late as hell ~realizations~ that Nancy is deeply sick. But she still somehow always makes it about herself. "Why did this happen to us, etc." She says how they have the perfect life and family, then guesses that God had to give them one bad thing in life, to keep them humble. I was screaming at this lol, she's a fucking cunt lol like this is 100% how most white people talk, right? omfg
Zack rightfully laughs at the mom's dramatics. "Like, haha God smited us" or some shit. 
The dad also laughs. Like, "hah, yes, we are perfect. Except for this one stain we have amongst us, which is your sister, Nancy. I'm wearing a backwards baseball cap, even though my tan is leathery-esque and maybe wearing it the proper way while being out in the sun is a good idea for me, though perhaps it's too late. Wearing a baseball cap the proper way is precautionary. I am past that stage now. I am stage four basal cell carcinoma." 

Nancy goes to the mall with Bro #2. By the way she's talking, it seems he has forced her to go. And also he thinks something there will "help" her??? 
Some bitch comes up like, "OMG NANCY SO SKINNY! YOU'RE LIKE KATE MOSS NOW!! HEROIN CHIC, BITCH, YAAASS!! I'M SO JEALOUS, BITCH, YES, GET ITT!!! GO TF AWF, BITCH! YESSss!!" lol what a fucking tragic display. Nancy looks like petrified dog shit and you're talking about how hot she is??? You look like a budget Kristin Davis, which is a thousand times hotter than any skeleton with some hanging skin on it, so wtf are you going on about??? 

This was my favorite. Bro #2 tries to "cure" Nancy by force-feeding her some gross ass lemon meringue pie shit. He's so simple lol. "Here, just eat this disgusting pie and your anorexia will be done." But, like, seriously. Nancy says how she wants to eat, but can't. I felt so much secondhand shame for her for disappointing her bro. He asked her to do one thing: eat. What is so hard?????? 

Another favorite scene. Nancy is breaking up little bits of lettuce into a bowl. Her dad comes in, guns fucking hot. At first he has sort of a gentle tone/approach. He's like, ":) Whatchu doin?" Nancy's like, ":) making something to eat." 
THE DAD STARTS SPAZZING. He's like, "ALL YOU EAT IS LETTUCE!! LETTUCE LETTUCE LETTUCE!!!" Nancy says how she had rice earlier. The dad keeps spazzing, "YOU'RE LYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yo, this scene was so funny because the whole movie I felt the dad was out of place and this scene really showcased how he really belonged in like some mafia film or something. He looked extremely ridiculous berating this tiny ass bitch over a bowl of lettuce lol like he was just doing way too much. Read the room, pally-o. 
Look at his face. Like this bitch owes him money. I'm screaming, and then he throws the lettuce bowl to the floor. You're at eleven when everyone else is at a three, my dude. I mean, I love it, but it's a mess. 

idk. Nancy has taken all the food out the cabinets? She's organizing...it? Also she's stirring a pot of sauce and measuring out little bits in a measuring cup? Her mom comes in like, "...What are you doing? You've been in here all day." So this disease just keeps progressing, and her dad throwing bowls of lettuce on the floor has helped in no way. No, but honestly, I thought it would. 
She looks really thin in this scene, rounding the corner to go organize her cans. The mom walks up to have some little confrontation. She asks Nancy what ~this means~. Like, why does she do everything she does? Um, if she had an answer to that...probably she'd be cured by now, so...don't annoy me with dumb questions. Like, you're not even asking me and I'm annoyed, so I can't even imagine how Nancy feels, who definitely starts spazzing and she and the mom get into some little altercation and then Nancy runs aways but she's super weak and like collapses on the stairs. If this movie were really worth its salt, this would be lead-up to Nancy's death. Spoiler alert: she doesn't die. The mom just puts her to bed, I think. 

The following scene was so funny I got really excited with pressing my little screencap button and that's why this looks like this. Zack was just, like, despondently chillin in his car outside the house. It was very mood.  

He's outside Nancy's room, I think? He's like looking up with worry and trepidation. This movie is really...not self aware in any way. 
The mom comes out like "...wutchu doin?" 
Zack is trying to act and flare his nostrils to express manly bro emotions concerning his sister. He talks about how he's afraid to go in the house, for fear he'll find Nancy's corpse. Valid fear. The mom says she fears the same. The way Zack explained what he's worried about was funny. It was like, "I'm worried, if I walk in, is she going to...be there?" lol it just sounded like he didn't want to see Nancy, period - not that he was worried she'd be dead. And then the mom is agreeing like "lol ugh ik!" 
They commence their emotional moment. The mom kisses Zack on the hand and I'm like "..." 

Then they cut to Zack's car the next morning. 100% I thought he had killed himself. He, unfortunately, had not. What is with the shot of this car? To show that he eventually went back into the house? Lol, okay, I was not worried at all that he wasn't going to???

Nancy's on the couch, looking sickly as hell. She complains of being cold and body pains. The mom is like "FYI: Your body needs fat to insulate itself. So that's prob why you're cold." She offers Nancy soup. Nancy says she wants soup, but can't eat it. Can someone just shove...like just shove food into her??? Let's give ol' Bro #2 another shot at the title. Some other shit happens here. The mom is like caressing Nancy's hair or something. All I remember thinking was how annoyed I'd be if she was touching my face while I was chillin' on the couch, being cold as hell, slowly dying. And then talking about soup, when I really want an angus burger, or any pizza from anywhere. Like, even Ellio's pizza squares. I'll even eat that trash, because I'm fucking starving

Nancy has to go to the hospital for something. Her kidneys? It's not serious-serious. The doctor says they'll give her some IV thing and she'll be okay, but that she has to start eating uhduh. 
I loved the doctor because he was cute and had an attitude right away. He's like with an attitude, "She has to eat". The parents are like, "She won't." He says back with an attitude, 
"Okay, well force her to." They say they can't. He responds with an attitude, 
"Um, well send her to that eating disorder clinic." They're like, "We already did that." He's like with an attitude, "Well idk what to tell you!!!" He just really wasn't having it at all. There should have been way more of him in the movie??? Like why couldn't the therapist doctor have been cunty?? Maybe then Nancy wouldn't have failed so spectacularly at that place??? 

That anorexic friend of the mom's comes over to apologize. Well, it's not like you were wrong, soooo?? Oh, wait, or is it the mom who apologizes for spazzing? I think they both apologize and I couldn't care less. But the friend gets this far-off look in her eyes at one point. She's looking outside and I'm thinking she's seeing some horrifying Nancy and her eating disorder related thing. And she is. But...it's not anything...like I thought she was seeing her jutting-out backbones or some shit. 
She sees Nancy sitting outside nibbling on her leaves. Both the friend and the mom are looking outside  like ".......". Here I got angry at the movie for not having the cliché brushing hair and a bunch of clumps come out scene. Or is that mostly for cancer movies? Please, future eating disorder movie makers, always put in a scene where we see the main character pulling out a clump of hair, or even a collection of disgusting looking straggly hair strings. It's 100% necessary. This shot of Nancy nibbling on leaves in a parka? Could've done without it, tbh! Could've left it on the cutting room floor. The friend being shocked seeing Nancy pull out a bunch of hair clumps would have been much better, but whatever. Your movie, your huge mistakes. 

The dad goes to see his lawyer to file a petition to...get..custody of Nancy blah blah legal jargon I'm too dumb to know. Basically, he's Britney Spears' dad during the Blackout era. It was the therapist doc's idea for the parents to try and have Nancy declared legally incompetent, so they could force her to go back to treatment. This legally incompetent business is sort of crazy. Like, what if you're not crazy but can't prove it? Well, I guess if you can't prove it... But idk, something doesn't sit right with me about parents getting their kids declared legally incompetent. Like, just let crazy ppl be crazy. Or, is it cuz the parents love them and want them to not do harm to themselves/others? Yawn, what a bunch of fucking squares. 

The dad has some emotional scene with Nancy while she's chillin' on the couch looking like a corpse, per usual. She had some ~~emotional monologue~~. 100% I forgot what it was about. Maybe some nice thing that happened when she was a kid??? Idk, the dad gives her his airplane wings pin or whatever and it's supposed to be a nice moment, I guess? But this is before she finds out her parents are trying to get her declared insane so they can make medical decisions for her, so...the moment is tainted for me. Also, I just felt dead while watching it. Not even a half-chub. 

The dad tells Nancy about the...about the stuff he's doing. Like he doesn't want her to turn into Amanda Bynes or whatever. Nancy spazzes, and says she refuses to go back to treatment, and that she'll fight the petition thing. 

Nancy is in bed looking dead, a poem. How are you fighting anything, sweetheart? Come on. 
A court-appointed lawyer comes through. She'll be defending Nancy in court. I thought...court-appointed laywers were free? Or are they different from public defenders? Because Nancy asks who's paying for the lawyer and she's like "your parents". Lol, I'm never having kids, cuz you got me fucked up if I have to sue my kid, and then also pay for their fucking lawyer to fight me in court. This is some white people shit, but I do tend toward white people shit activities, so I need to just never be a mom. Like, I can totally see myself trying to have my kid declared legally incompetent. But like, because she won't clean her room or something. 

Okay, it's court day. They all ride to court together. How awkward is that to be suing your kid and then driving them to court so they can defend themselves from you suing them??? Srsly, white people are always on some extra ass mountain dew code red extreme shit, and it's just very amusing for all of us "minorities". So, thanx, whites! 

Nancy is in the backseat staring out the window, admiring John Wayne Gacy Jr. and the fam having a wonderful picnic outside like a bunch of fucking goobers. I guess this is supposed to be Nancy realizing all the fun she could be having if she wasn't so ruled by this eating disorder?? Seeing a scene like this would just inspire me to continue with my eating disorder, but okay, I understand it's supposed to trigger something in Nancy. Make her remember that happiness exists or whatever. Fine

There are all these reporters and shit swarming the car when Nancy & co. pull up to the courthouse???? 
Like is it really that serious??? Is this really news?? Maybe in sad-ass 1994??? Wait, wasn't that OJ Simpson thing popping off right about this time?? Come on, news people. No one cares about some little white girl suing her--what am I saying? Of course this is news! I just recently read about some case here in NJ of some chick suing her parents for money because they kicked her out for having a boyfriend? Like she wanted to be emancipated and also have her parents pay for schooling, etc? That was in the papers for forever. I bet a Lifetime movie of that case exists and/or is in the works. I bet everything on my life, which is worth nothing :')

The dad is on the stand, they ask him about the petition he filled out. Is this true blah blah? He's being really extra and having a hard time on the stand. To emphasize this, there are cutaways to 
Nancy struggling watching him struggle. 
They press, I think, on if he wants to have Nancy declared legally incompetent. He's being extra and just tilting his head up and not answering. I guess he was doing manly emotions?? Like, he can't cry and look like a little bitch, so he does that^? So much worse than crying, though??? Like, way too much neck, my friend. 
Nancy is getting emotional @ her dad getting emotional. 
The dad is barely holding back his xtreem man emotions. 
This affects Nancy deeply or something? She tells her lawyer she doesn't want to do this anymore. Oh, I think before this, Nancy like weirdly spread her legs or something and showed her dad that she was carrying his airplane wings pin? Ugh, whatever. This allows him to be able to say that, yes, he wants his daughter declared legally incompetent. And then Nancy's lawyer has to ruin her reputation by giving in. This family drama 100% could been handled at home, maybe??? Like, obviously not. But maybe they could've tried harder lol? Maybe if the dad had smacked more lettuce bowls onto the floor? idk.

The judge makes some weird speech about how even though Nancy has been declared legally incompetent, it doesn't mean she doesn't have any rights, or can't make other non-medical related decisions. Like, who is he talking to? Do judges do this? Give like weird speeches/lessons after a verdict is made or whatever? Like, no one asked???? 

Nancy & her parents return home and Zack and Bro #2 are asking what happened. Nancy randomly is like, "I think I want a bagel." THIS MOVIE IS RIDICULOUS. Who the fuck??? This bitch has been subsisting off the actual diet of a fucking rabbit for idk how long, and now all of a sudden she wants some thick ass bagel?? And it's not just that she wants a bagel, it's that she wants to eat period. All of a sudden? Now that she has lost all rights (fuck what that judge said), now she feels like "well, fuck it, might as well eat"???? 

Nancy goes into the kitchen to get a bagel and Zack is asking the mom "What happened? What happened?" She's like "shhh" so they can fucking be weird and stand out on the patio and watch this bitch eat a bagel. 

THEY'RE JUST STANDING THERE BEING WEIRD AND SILENT WHILE SHE EATS. THIS IS FUCKING AWKWARD AND WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. NEVER!! BRO NUMBER TWO ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO BE LOWKEY ABOUT IT!!! HE'S JUST BLATANTLY STARING LIKE THIS BITCH IS SOME CARNIVAL EXHIBIT.

SHE'S JUST SITTING HERE NIBBLING ON A BAGEL. THE BITCH DIDN'T EVEN BUTTER OR TOAST IT OR ANYTHING. END MY MISERRRRRRRRY!!!!!

NO CREAM CHEESE OR NOTHING!!!

THEY KEEP JUST STANDING THERE!!!!!

I'm so tired and done. Nancy gets better or whatever. She's all like, "I'll never fully be cured..." and that's when I tune out during these types of movies. It's like, well, then, what's the point? If you have to like always be working yourself? Like alcoholics have to go to alcoholics anonymous every day or some shit? Are you kidding me? I don't even drink, and just the thought of that is making me want to. But, no, inspiring or whatever. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey