Friday, September 22, 2017

Team Tammy: Unforgivable (1996)




Let me just get this out of the way and say that Unforgivable is a pretty good made for tv movie. I mean, it's cliché out the ass, like all of them are, but it holds up. I think it was pretty inspired casting to place John Ritter's goofy ass in the role of The Abuser. This was different from The Burning Bed, though, where I felt Paul Le Mat was too goofy to be believable as an abuser. John was goofy here, but not Three's Company or JD's dad on Scrubs goofy - it was goofy in like, this dude is pathetic and it's just so obvious why he's beating on his wife and terrorizing his family, those weaker than him. It was legit scary and disturbing and I thought John Ritter did a really good job in a role that's been played pretty cheesily by a million and one has-beens and never was. You can tell he was legit because this movie could've been a real mess. 

Now, with me giving props to the movie for being good and John Ritter for being believable as a wife beater, let's get into how that all set the stage for me getting way too into this movie lol and cheering for my bae Tammy every time she was on the screen. 

So okay. John plays a man named Paul Hegstrom. Paul is married to Judy and they have three kids. RIGHT AWAY the movie is popping off with domestic violence and I'm like Okay. Like, can a bitch get prepared first damn!  But also right away, I'm living for Queen Tammy. She's like mad grossed out by her dad. 

YOU KNOW WHAT! I was so disgusted right away as the movie opened lol and that's so much part of why I was identifying with Tammy. Like, they had John Ritter tearing into his wife because she what? Had the audacity to call him at work. lol what? And the kicker is his bitch ass told her to call him! Girl, okay! So after John has finishing tearing on her ass, he starts like condescendingly kissing her on the mouth. I was...disgusted. And then in the following scene, Tammy sees her mom's bruises and then her dad comes in and tries to like hug her or something and she thwarts him and I immediately knew whom I'd be checking for for the rest of the movie. 

So fast-forward to Paul leaving the family to go be with his mistress. You know what pissed me off? I thought I was going to be LIVING for the mistress before I found out she was the mistress. She was just some chick working at the bar Paul and his co-worker were harassing women at, lowkey dragging them for their lives. Later I think Paul is stalking this bitch, bout to rape her or something, only to find out they fucking. OH, REALLY NOW?? I deaded this bitch in my heart. Then Paul threw her homewrecking ass through a glass shower door, but not before she attempted to fight his ass back, so I made a tiny space back for her in my heart. Sigh.

Okay, but why she aint press charges? In lieu of pressing charges, she requires Paul attend some Abusers Anonymous meetings, and stay away from her. Girl, whatever. HE THREW YOU THROUGH A GLASS DOOR! But all his bitch, bloated ass gotta do is visit the basement of a church three times a week? AND HE HAD THE AUDACITY TO TRY AND COMPLAIN AND GET HER TO RENEGE THE DEAL AS IF HIS ASS COULDN'T BE SITTING ON SOME NIGGA'S DICK IN PRISON INSTEAD! I was entirely through

Kevin Dunn plays the counselor dude who runs the Abusers Anonymous meetings, and I really liked him here, his calming sort of presence, in contrast to those hype, aggy ass dudes in the group. I was CACKLING at how United Nations their Abusers Squad was. They had Paul's white ass, another white but lower class, another white but country and a lawyer; a Native American (girl), Hispanic George Constanza, and some black dude named Spider. Chile cheese. This group was honestly doing the most. You know what I really did not like about this movie? How, like, sympathetic they were tryna make us be to these dudes. Were they doing that or am I projecting? Idk, it seemed weird that these niggas are putting bitches in hospitals and shit and all they have to do is go to group therapy which clearly doesn't work all that much. And then Spider's big ass was up there talking about you have to ~leave your past behind~ or some mess. Yeah, I wonder how well that's working out for your victims. BUT ANYWAY! 

Oh, okay, so I guess it ~works~ for Paul. His BIG TEST is when he asks Judy if they can get back together and she SPAZZES on that ass. Instead of punching her in her fucking face and karate kicking her upside the damn head, Paul runs away. You know, like, in order to avoid pummeling her to death. Nice. Success! 

You know what sincerely pissed me off? That was such A Moment for Judy, her going in on Paul. But the movie fucked it up to ultimately make it a moment for Paul. Like, HE DID IT! HE DIDN'T A B U S E!! Yo, like, congrats for doing some shit millions of people do every day. You're a hero, basically. The fuck. This society is such a mess. Like I was really heated they had Judy go off on his ass, WHICH WAS GREAT, only to immediately diminish it by having her look terrified she said all that shit, then have Paul dramatically not beat her up, for fucking once in his life. Don't ever photoshop an abusive nigga's pissy ass redemption narrative over a women's empowerment moment. This is like the first time probably ever in this bitch's life she stood up for herself, and they cut it short to do some ugly ass Powerpoint slideshow rewind to when Paul was terrorizing her. Oh, but look now: He's not as much! Except he is? Like did he really ask if they could get back together after all that shit he did? He nearly killed a bitch but he deserves a family? Nah.

So, anyway, Team Tammy. Because not for one second did this bitch falter on her stance: I do not fuck with that nigga - miss me. I was so glad that they never once had her softening on him. I also loved her for calling the fam stupid and weak for letting him back in. Apparently this shit was based on real people and like Paul and Judy and Tammy and 'em actually exist? Hmm. I liked how the little ~update~ said in so many words, "Tammy still don't fuck with this nigga", after they also said that Paul and Judy got back together and have stayed together since. GIRL, WHAT? Talking about Paul rehabilitated. Okay. I watched this shit on YouTube (anyway) and in the comments one person likened "neutered" Paul to Hulk like right before he goes green. His clothes shredding a bit, but he's keeping it ~under control~. They...put it better. But I agreed. And they were like, I'm supposed to applaud this? Like, exactly. Girl, bye to all of this. I don't understand why Judy did all that to get her life together only to return to the nigga who fucked her life up in the first place. How can you "love" someone who ruins your fucking life? What the hell. Bitches be trippin, I guess. 

Oh, I forgot to talk about my other bae besides Tammy, the manager nigga at the car dealership Paul worked at before that ass got FIRED. Every time he showed up on screen he was dragging Paul to hell and back by his little bits of hair. I was fucking L I V I N G, BITCH! Anyway, bye. 


9 comments:

  1. This is the greatest commentary on this movie I have ever read. #teamtammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've agreed 100% with anything as much as I have with this write up!!! All of this is so well said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the one thing this article is lacking is the fact that Paul got the help he needed. He over came his problems and he owned up to them. Paul was human and he made bad choices and mistakes. Everyone deserves 2nd chances and to be forgiven. Jesus taught that we should forgive. The Father God forgives and if we can't forgive then why should God forgives us of our sins. Paul and his wife created a special program to help abused woman and to help abusive men get the help they need to over come their problems. In the end Paul and Tammy reconciled and their relationship flourished. It took Tammy a real long time to forgive her Father but she did, she finally saw that he had really changed for the better and became a better person. Paul's wife has stated that Paul never again hit her or became violent since they remarried and he was a great husband and Father to his children.

    ReplyDelete

Hey