Monday, January 9, 2017

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)

So I've been wanting to see this forever because of Daniel Day-Lewis, basically. I love DDL. I don't even be liking half his movies. Like Lincoln, are you serious? But DDL's acting alone is what I'm there for. He's like Montgomery Clift for me. Not their acting styles or trajectories or anything, but just that they both share the same trait of being really good actors I love, whose movies I pretty much never do? Or, like, it's not important for me to like the movie, since I'm just there for them. Liking the movie is the bonus. Like have you ever seen Gangs of New York? It's pretty terrible, but DDL as Bill The Butcher is amazing so like accidentally the movie might be? It's the same with Lincoln, though not the same with Nine. Funny, that. 

Anyway! Unbearable Lightness was different in that: 1. didn't like it, but 2. wasn't assuaged by DDL's presence, but 3. was by Juliette Binoche and to a lesser extent Lena Olin? Like they made the movie, and DDL was off to the sideline with his suspicious hairline and accent and I was like "Who cares?" lol. So that was a first. Actually, no, that happened with Nine, too. Marion stole the show. The French bitches win again. Lena is like Swedish or something, tho. But I said "to a lesser extent" up there, so that's enough shade for today. 

So this mess is about some doctor dude who maybe is German? Let's talk about how I have no idea 1. where this movie takes place and 2. what that war stuff happening was. I am honestly garbage, but like all that was completely lost on me. Like I'm watching the movie and several times kinda asking myself shit like "Is he German?" "Is that Russia?", because I'm a simple soul. I.e.: slow.  

So DDL plays some possibly a German, but definitely a doctor, dude named Tomas. Good for him. He's some sort of player. *rolls eyes*. One of his cum dumps is (no) Sabina, played by Lena Olin. Lena's intriguing, so she keeps me from getting grossed out with the whole...thing. Eventch, Tomas meets some bar...tress...named Tereza, played by #frenchactingbae Juliette Binoche. 

Loved Tereza. Idky. Her innocence? She looked like a kitten or something. Also pretty sure she lost her virginity to Tomas? Interesting choice, ngl. Also of course her sensitive ass is the one Tomas wants to wife. His nearly falling apart at the seams dick ass sitting up here tryna lock down a seemingly untouched woman, just getting started on things. And that's where most of my focus lied while watching the film - like, getting annoyed by that lol. There's a whole war and shit going on and I'm like, "ugh Tomas is gross" lol like that's the only place I was ever in. 

I also kind of loved Sabina? ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE DIPPED ON THAT MARRIED DUDE? Idk, it was iconic. And I felt bad for her when she got the letter at the end that Tomas and Tereza were dead (spoiler alert). Like those were her people. Which is a goddamn mess and pretty disturbing, but all the same true. Anyway, still had no idea what this movie was about or trying to be about. Unbearable Lightness of Being. Is being light? Is def unbearable, but idk all about that lightness part. Maybe how fragile life is? Girl, I'm dumb as fuck. But I don't need to be smart to give a thumbs down to what I considered a fairly dry film. No offense, but this coulda been way more interesting? Like there was mad shit going on but okay. No, okay, it was interesting. But not to my specifications. Anyway I should be banned from watching films, let alone writing about them. Who let me out of the cage smh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey