Saturday, December 28, 2013

That Winter, The Wind Blows IV

Okay, now I want to talk about stuff that got to me emotionally.

I think...this show was really unintentionally hilarious. As melodramas often are. But there was also a lot of stuff that was legit harrowing and sad and tragic and heartbreaking. So I laughed a lot but I also had a few teary moments. There were two scenes, in particular, that had me quietly sobbing in the dark. Okay, sobbing is a bit of an exaggaration. I'm not a sobber due to being mostly dead inside. But the wind was def blowing in my face and causing some tearing up (I Miss You reference lol! :( ) 

Okay so the first scene that had me crying was 

^this one, when Young, Oh Soo, Jin-sung and Hee-sun go on some adventure. I'm totally forgetting wtf it was they were doing. I think it was a camping thing. Fuck, I don't remember but Oh Soo and Jin-sung cook and Young can hear that Oh Soo chops food badly even though he's supposed to be an Italian chef (LIE). Oh Soo says some dumb shit like "No, it's the Chinese who chop well". 

BUT ANYWAY THAT'S NOT EVEN THE SCENE I'M TALKING ABOUT. The four of them are staying in this place and Young and Oh Soo have a quiet moment alone to talk. Something inspires Young to ask Oh Soo about the man she met when she went to find her real bro. That man was him, obviously. Oh Soo says something like: Don't worry about him, that man is a con-artist piece of shit scumbag. IF IT'S NOT CLEAR, HE IS TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF. Then I think Oh Soo mentions that "that man" was abandoned as a baby. Young surmises that "that man" must be really angry because of that. Maybe he should give himself a break and try to forgive himself for the bad things he's done. Something like that, and I'm totally ruining it, but it was beautiful of Young to be so understanding of "that man". That man, being Oh Soo. As Young is saying these things about him, Oh Soo is getting all choked up and it just killed me. Like, it was the first time someone ever said something like that to him. The self-hate he had for himself was so obvious in that scene and it was just touching that Young, someone Oh Soo was falling in love with, could sympathize with such a "monster". 


Another scene that had me crying was towards the end of the series after ~everything is revealed~ and Young kicks everyone out of her house. She is apart from Oh Soo and misses him. 


I think in this scene she is imagining Oh Soo reading her a story. IT'S SO SAD BECAUSE IT'S NOT ACTUALLY HAPPENING. The scene just ends with her crying alone in the bed. Idk, it just got to me. I think I felt so exhausted after watching all the drama with them the whole series that their separation and this quiet little breakdown with Young just broke me. 


Two entire characters that killed me were my baby villains Secretary Wang and Jo Moo-chul. 

I could tell from jump that I was not going to hate Secretary Wang no matter what it was revealed that she had done. Her worst transgression, it turns out, was not taking Young to get her eyes fixed when she was a child and keeping her blind. It's clear immediately that Secretary Wang does this because she wants to keep Young dependent on her. THIS IS FUCKED UP.

But. Also. Super sad. Her whole life was Young. She had no one else. I'm not sure what her relationship with Young's dad was, but it was clearly not a good or intimate one. Young was her everything. It's not okay that she allowed Young to remain blind, and I supported Young's cold treatment of her. You just don't do that shit. Like, couldn't Secretary Wang have just been a really good stepmom to Young and nuture her and watch her grow? Why did she need to imprison her? Because, ultimately, she imprisoned herself as well. I don't know, clearly Secretary Wang had some untreated mental problems. But she devastated me. 


I think here she puts it all out there for Young. I just...I loved her. I felt bad for her, I wanted Young to love her properly, I wanted her to feel whole or something. I also thought the actress who played her was really good. This was just really good work.


This takes place after Young has kicked everyone out. At some point, she tries to casually ask Attorney Jang if Secretary Wang called. That almost made me cry. Then she called her and I was like YESSSSSSS. I don't know, I still feel weird shipping this mom-daughter thing. The fact that Secretary Wang kept Young blind loomed over everything. But I guess, that's just how life is and everything is a fucking mess. Okay, this is a TV show I need to calm down. 


Now Jo Moo-chul. 

L  U  N  G  C  A  N  C  E  R

Of course, he has lung cancer. Of course he does. 

It's revealed that Jo Moo-chul was in love with Oh Soo's dead girlfriend. He, like Hee-sun, blames Oh Soo for her death. Actually, Hee-sun probably feels Oh Soo is vaguely responsible as sort of a way to deal with her grief. Moo-chul legitimately believes the dead chick's death was Oh Soo's fault. Dead Girl was pregnant with Oh Soo's baby (gasp). She goes to tell him, thinking he'll be super pumped. HE'S SUPER NOT PUMPED. Essentially he tells her to fuck off. He might even shove her, I don't remember, but the show wants to get across that nineteen year old Oh Soo is a massive cunt. Dead Girl flees and is immediately hit by a truck. Moo-chul witnesses all this shit. 

Oh Soo is number one on his shit list now. Good thing he's been assigned to kill Oh Soo if he doesn't pay his debt to Boss Kim. 

I only accepted Moo-chul as the villain for like one episode. Pretty quickly I decided he cared about Oh Soo and was definitelty not going to be killing him even if Oh Soo failed to pay his debt. Moo-chul was upset and sad, but not on any murdering shit. He was a fake ass gangster, but not in a cheesy way. Just in a, look at this wounded lil deer way. 


This took place at Dead Girl's grave. I don't even remember what this fight was specifically about, but Moo-chul def called Oh Soo to acount. Also, he gave him a euthanizer pill or some shit???? But anyway, anytime Oh Soo and Moo-chul fought it was super revealing. I never felt like: This is not going to be good. The fights were more like therapy sessions. Um, to be clear though, Oh Soo always got his prissy ass kicked. Moo-chul took his man-feelings out on Oh Soo's face. Do I think Oh Soo deserved it? No. I'm not into violence.

Speaking of violence. 


In this^ scene Oh Soo asks Moo-chul to ask his doctor sister to operate on Young. Moo-chul immediately kicks the dick out of him. BUT THEN HE ASKS HIS SISTER TO DO IT. Because he loves Oh Soo and is also not a bad person. Yeah, all the characters are three dimensional, but Moo-chul isn't even trying to be villany. Okay, he fucks Oh Soo's shit up multiple times, but I feel like a lot of people watching would explain it away like..."well, um, Oh Soo is kind of a dick, so..." 

Moo-chul's arc ends with him being stabbed or dying of lung cancer or both. I was upset. I don't want to talk about this. LIKE, I KNEW HE WAS GOING TO DIE BUT STILL. Ugh, no, I can't. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey