Sunday, August 5, 2018

Annihilation (2018)

I have to watch this again, because I have no idea. Also, I watched this at least 2 weeks ago, so I forgot everything. So already I am like wtf @ the movie, and then I have amnesia to whole chunks of it. Like what was that bubble orb thing? Did it have a name? I don't think it matters, I suppose.

So I guess this would be classified as a sci-fi sort of film. Me and sci-fi films don't go well together, usually. Really, ever. Because even when I like one (this might be one I liked),  I ignore all the sci-fi shit. Not all the time, because I remember watching Arrival and wanting to go deeper into the sciencey part of it, but mostly the sciencey shit...or, actually, I think it's, specifically, the science-fiction. The fantasy part. I don't know, it always comes across as jarbledy gargle and I'm just *rolls eyes*. 

There wasn't too much or really any expository here. It actually helped that basically zero of the characters knew what the fuck was going on lol, so in terms of the technological skeleton of the whole thing, I won't even bother to speculate.

So in a review I read before watching this, they mentioned Annihilation was like a metaphor or allegory for depression. Or, like, explaining, kind of, the...internal machinations or something? of the depressed state. I'm super smart, btw.

Natalie Portman plays a biologist probably who's married to Oscar "Been obsessed with this dude since I suffered thru that way too long, shitty ass music video they called Sucker Punch" Isaac. They met in Army. Oscar--I think Army tells Oscar he has to go on a mission. To explore The Orb. He goes missing or dies or whatever, but ends up coming back, but is all altered and shit. Before the movie laid stuff out, I thought that Oscar's character ~in present day~ was a ghost. But like, even when you get to the end of the movie, after things are ~explained~...you can still reason he was a ghost. If you want to be very emo and dramatic and truthful about depression. 

If this movie is about depression.

Who said Oscar was a...self-sabatoger? JJ Leigh, right? As an explanation for him going into the orb. Did he have a choice or was it mandatory Army work? Idk. But didn't they make it seem like anyone going to the orb has a reason?? And I think JJ Leigh posited Oscar's was basically just he lowkey wanted to be dead? Like, uh, everyone? 

So the squad that we as the audience enters the orb with is Natalie (grieving?), Tessa Thompson (self-mutilator), JJ Leigh (dying from cancer), Jane the Virgin (addict), and random foreign actress (grieving). 

Am I right about Natalie's ~reason~ being grief? At the end they had her fighting herself, so maybe her fog existed before bae disappeared. Ultimately, though, I think if you're afflicted with depression, the base mood is always grief. 

Okay, so they all die in metaphorical (and literal) ways based off what they're suffering from, no?

The only one I didn't get was the random foreign actress. She got ate or attacked by that wolf bear thing?, I think. She's dragged away, and then later Natalie discovered her dead body by a tree. I wonder if I'm forgetting something about her grave. Like if there was any sort of symbolism. Idk, if I wanted to be fake deep, I could say she grieved privately about her daughter, so had a fitting death? Or something like...what killed her before she ever entered the orb was her daughter being taken from her and it's something that is unseen? Idk, I'm too slow and non-poetic 4 this lol.

I loved Tessa's death. The flower people were creepy but it was so peaceful. Jane the Virgin's death, on the other hand, was, no offense, much welcomed lol, but also super horrible and lowkey hilarious. And very fitting.

RQ, the book this movie is based off is a series, oui? I wonder if they'll do other films.. I would like to see more of the writer's world, because this was pretty intriguing. However, I didn't see 2 many people hyping this movie, so I'm not sure. But maybe, fingers crossed. 

Anyway, this movie was depressing, but in a comforting way. It's like when you meet someone super weird and horrible and they seem like it's unfathomable for them to be alive and exist in the world and you just feel...relieved. Like, sigh, good. Not just me.

I'm 2 tired and inarticulate to get deep, but a few things:

1. the soundtrack is #LIT. Okay?
2. JJ Leigh needs to be in a million more things. She's one of those weird actresses I just love. Her vibe makes me so uncomfortable and I just really...like it.
3. I still need to see Ex Machina. Does someone fuck a robot? Just tell me..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey