Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Fences (2016)

This film was extremely overwrought. But it's a play, I believe, right? Honestly I have no idea and am too lazy to find out, but the way the movie was filmed and how everything played out on like one stage, made it seem like it was written as a play. I love movies that are made from plays because I never get to see real life plays due to being poor and lazy and not feeling like it. Movies are cheaper and more accessible to me, so I like when they give me a little taste of Broadway every now and then. Or, well, off-Broadway, or adjacent-Broadway, because I'm not with that Les Miz, Hamilton bs. But stuff like Fences is definitely up my alley. 

Emphasis on stuff like Fences, because lowkey this movie was a mess?? lol, no, but yes. You know what was TRULY a mess? Denzel. Uncle Denzel. #actingbae. I remember I used to have this internet friend I'd talk about movies with and we were getting on the must discuss topic of Mr. Washington and she said how she didn't like him, how she thought he was over the top. I remembered thinking she prob didn't like him because she was racist (and from Pennsylvania), but I lowkey agreed he be doing The Most. I think I likened him to a black Nic Cage. But, okay, WAS I WRONG? 

I'm sorry for throwing acting bae under the bus a little to appease my boring internet friend who was like super into Simon Pegg movies (smh), but like it was completely on-point. I realllly love Denzel and watch any of the mess he be in, but he is just...so extra. And this was the Most Extra I have ever seen him and I both hated it and thought it was amazing and brilliant. 

I can't tell if I thought Denzel was...like bad, or really good, because his character was doing the motherfucking absolute most from the very start of the film and I was so exhausted and OVER IT right away immediately. Denzie plays some over the top ass never shut the fuck up head ass negro named Troy. He mad boisterous and all bravado, but also a traditionalist, I guess you could call it, and one of them niggas who think they really doing something by fulfilling their obligations. Just barely, but give these niggas a medal. Then of course there's some horrible backstory to it all they're mad nonchalant about like they haven't been suffering from post traumatic stress disorder their entire fucking lives that no amount of therapy in this late stage could even begin to chip away at, and it was just all hitting a little too close to home. I think a big part of me was hating Troy, and Denzel's performance, because it was so accurate and I know dudes exactly like Troy and I was just dying inside. Denzel was still playing to the cheap seats though lol can I get a subtle second, like, just one, baby. Lol no maybe I got one or two but I honestly can't even remember. Maybe Denzel's final shot with him swinging the baseball bat. Or maybe him with the baby on the stairs...maybe that. But barely that, OKAY?! 

Viola plays Troy's wife Rose, and of course she was amazing. Viola is definitely better at acting than Denzel, let's just get that out of the way right now. She can do over the top and make it look like nothing is even happening, if that makes sense, which I'm sure it does not :') But like she had moments in the film--not as many as Denzel, but moments still--where I could tell the direction was like "Just be Extra", and she was, but she made it look poetic, like art. Viola's just amazing and I'm glad she was chosen for the part, because probably anyone else would've shown this schlocky ham-fisted mess for what it is. Viola in it and I'm sitting here thinking this some prestige ass shit. So good casting choice there. I've barely seen any of the other award movies of the year, but give Viola Davis all of the awards. Best actor, actress, supporting, cinematography, direction, fucking...sound mixing, whatever bitch, give it to her. Don't fuck around, it's not a game anymore!!! 

I'm pissed Rose outchea marrying ex-cons--EX CONS FOR MURDER, BTW--, thinking she getting the opposite of an aint-shit nigga. Lol, girlfriend. Troy cheating on you and having an outside baby was prob the least his crazy ass could do. But she wanna act all shocked, talking bout eighteen years. Yeah, eighteen years of bs, smh. Her refusal to pop awf on Troy was truly bothering me. But I guess Rose is a ~good woman~. Idk what sort of good woman choses a murderer to be the father of her child, but anyway lemme stop going in on bae lol. We alllll make mistakes. And shoot if I met Yung Denzel and he was swanging baseballs and shit I'd snap his murdery ass up too, so lemme stop judging her. 

Can we talk about...why Mykelti Williamson is always playing someone, to be politically correct, retarded????? I'm tired of this fool. How is playing slow in the head your niche in the industry, like you honestly have to be joking. Lol I mean he was good, but cum on. You know what's the worst thing I've ever seen Mykelti do? He played a magical negro homeless man on Nashville. Please...please give him an Oscar. Just for that. Or at least...at least a sense of purpose. How are you a more embarrassing actor than that nigga who played Professor Oglevee?? Well maybe not more embarrassing because 1. I have no idea what that dude's name is, and 2. I saw him in a KFC commercial once and I'm not sure he had any lines. Anyway, Popeye's would be a good look for you, Mykeltz. 

Delete my blog, and this movie. Like it was good, but bad also. After the movie ended, people in my theater audience clapped. And I can definitely tell you that Mykelti was a crowd favorite lol. There was also a lot of, what I personally felt, unnecessary laughter. There were definitely some chuckle moments, mostly from Mykelti imo, but there was a lot of laughing at Denzel's character. I honestly was horrified by Troy, so I don't see what was funny. I was so glad when it turned out his character was having an affair and everything started to crumble down around him. That sounds weird to say but I thought this movie was gonna go a more OUR BLACK KANGS ARE SUFFERING AND WE NEED TO SUPPORT & UPLIFT THEM route. But this was written by a white person, though, I think? August Wilson. That name could go either way, idk. But I'm just glad Troy was humbled, and even gladder when he died lol, just keeping it real. He deserved to die. Anyway, can't wait to see hopefully Viola snatch up some awards this season, and also hopefully Denzel so he can give an uncomfortable, condescending, veneers-shouty acceptance speech. This is my dream, my nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey