Sunday, July 5, 2015

Big Hero 6 (2014)


San Fransokyo? lol, this movie was cute. I mean, it was no Monsters, Inc., but it sufficed. I usually can't get into a lot of these animated movies. Like, they're mostly not my cup of tea. I mean, primarily they are for children, so I don't feel weird being like "Eh, okay?" watching shit like Wreck-It Ralph or How to Train Your Dragon. And I know I can't watch shit like Frozen or Minions or whatever the fuck - I just straight-up will hate that shit. But one of the few animated films I really love is Monsters, Inc. for some reason, and the trailers for Big Hero 6 with Hiro fucking around with Baymax gave me, for some reason, Monster's, Inc. vibes. And I was mostly right-ish about that, and I mostly liked this movie. Though I did not love it. Let's talk about why!! 

So, again, San Fransokyo?? This movie was sort of weird with its ~*~ambiguously raced future~*~. I mean, I guess I get what they were trying to do? Because both Tokyo and San Francisco are...like big technology hubs? Right? Or???? mmm, and however, San Fransokyo was more...San Francisco, than it was Tokyo. It was like San Francisco with Tokyo decals on it, which, like, okay. ANNNNNND how come Hiro and Tadashi's parents had to be dead? Their probably interracial commingling ass set of parents had to be conveniently non-existent so their chippery ass white aunt could be the parent placeholder? I just really felt their Asianness was being hella diluted for absolutely no reason. And why couldn't the movie have been just set in Tokyo??? That would have been cool, yeah? You wouldn't even have to do subtitles, as they speak English over there wow!!! Like!! I feel really...annoying and...uncomfortably precious right now...getting irritated over the race stuff in this movie lol. Like it's a kids' movie and they really don't fucking care. But, like, exactly. Kids don't care. Race stuff in the movie could have been way more obvious and way less watered down because kids do not give a shit. Like, all you need is Baymax and they're good. I don't get all the concealing of obvious ethnic markings. But the movie tries to make it look like they're not hiding anything - like, they're being so progressive melding San Francisco and Tokyo together and it's so like THE FUTURE. AMERICA UNITED STATES THE GLOBE 3000. Like, yo, whatever you say. 

AYO, why did Tadashi have to die???!?!?????????????? WHAT KIND OF CHILDREN'S FILM IS THIS??? Like, yeah okay, I get kids aren't dummies, and they know about death and shit, but like, me, personally? I just came here to have a good time and I'm feeling really attacked right now meme. I was feelin' hella emotional about this shit. WHY IS HE DEAD?! Don't tell me it was "necessary" for the rest of the seventy minutes of the movie to unfold, because check no juliet to that. I think that...Tadashi could have lived, and the writers could've been less lazy about having a reason for Hiro to have to become a "hero". I mean, he's what - 14? There's so many other obstacles you could've thrown at a fourteen year old that would cause him to come to account and step forward and prove himself. Like, his one person in life did not need to be ripped away from him. I disagree entirely with his death. And I disagree entirely with Baymax getting ripped away as well!! Like, first this nigga loses his big bro, then he loses the balloon robot his big bro created??? Like, I know Hiro reanimated Baymax at the end, but is it really the same????? It's like cloning your dead spouse. It's weird and how did you come across the technology and tools to do this??? Also Baymax in gen makes me uncomfortable because he is a robot and not a human being, yet Hiro was finding comfort in him. Like it's stated in the beginning that Baymax has no feelings, so why the heck is he acting the exact opposite of this in the movie? It's like he's not a robot but just has a slight touch of Asperger's. He's like Connor on Degrassi, but not, like, soulless. Unlike Connor, who was. idk, all this death and then robot-replacing-brother-figure stuff really made me uncomfortable. I wonder if kids watching this cared or if they were just like "lol Baymax" and didn't give a fuck about Tadashi DYING IN A FUCKING FIRE. Lowkey, he deserved to die. Who runs into a burning building? Stop trying to be a hiro, Tadashi. haha get it??



:(


:(((


What else did I hate about this movie? lol. No, no...I didn't hate anything. I simply...disagreed with many aspects. Like...what was up with...Alistair Krei and Robert Callaghan? Like, their characters in general??? I just kept thinking...are kids paying attention to their scenes?? It was very...generic spy thriller movie. You know how in live-action action films there are always these random white villains in suits and the ~hero~ has to save the world from their evil business plan?? Like, that's always super-boring in those movies...I'm confused why that was recreated here in the world of animation, where you can literally create ANY sort of villain. Like, really, rich businessmen??? Okay like????? I DID, however, like the kabuki mask monster thing Callaghan created.
Like, this shit was scary. Though it felt 1. lowkey inappropriate for a children's film and 2. highkey racist. But maybe I'm missing the mark on both fronts, so I'll fall back on this one and just stick to saying I was into the high-drama of Callaghan's created monster. BUT WHY IS CALLAGHAN WALKING AROUND OUT HERE LIKE THIS? It's so bizarre? Like, his target is exclusively Alistair for presumably, unintentionally murking his daughter. Why is Callaghan all out here acting like he wants to watch the world burn or some shit? Like, why is he straight-up trying to kill Hiro & co.??? I get they were sort of in his way, but fam, chillllllllllll. And I totally supported Hiro wanting to kill Callaghan because fuck that, he got his brother killed, and did the other team members forget CALLAGHAN WAS TRYING TO KILL THEM?!?!? Yo, get out of here with that moral super--oh, this is...right, this a children's film. RIGHT? SO WHY DID YOU KILL TADASHI?!?!?! lol, I'm...I'm not letting that go. Is there going to be a sequel? Like, I'll watch. Primarily for Baymax. And also fingers-crossed for a Tadashi reanimation. Like Hiro creates some shit that'll bring him back to life.

It's like, all this hotness wasted - and for what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey