Saturday, July 18, 2015

Foxcatcher (2014)


I...think I really liked this movie? lol, it was...this was one of the most uncomfortable/depressing movie-watching experiences of my life - AND I LIVED!! This is the type of entertainment I neeeeeeeed!!! I felt, after watching this, how I feel after watching some relentless-ass Lars von Trier movie: rejuvenated. 

This movie is almost funny in how depressing it is. Like, that whole sequence where we follow sort of a ~day in Mark's life~ where he gets paid twenty sad ass dollars to speak to kids at a school (they weren't even expecting him - they wanted his brother!), then he goes to train with Dave and he's all frowny face and downbeat and then after that he goes home to his gloomy ass apartment and eats like ramen noodles he poured some lukewarm water over and I'm not sure it even cooked? Like the noodles might've been dry??? And then I think maybe later he's playing on some old-school gameboy? Killme

Why...is Mark's life so fucking depressing? What is this? lol. It's so over the top. I wonder if it was an aesthetic choice by the director? Cuz, you know, I saw some pics of the real du Pont and he...he was an attractive-ish sort of dude, in like a Tour de France sort of way. I definitely get creepy vibes, but the way Steve Carell portrays him is like if Alfred Hitchcock and Danny DeVito's Penguin had twin babies and one twin ate the other one, and what that twin shit out after eating his bro is John du Pont. Like, it's so severe and horror film. And I think...Mark's daily depressionthon was exaggerated to sort of match. Like, this movie is a horror film and everything is sort of heightened, right? Or...is this film like totally accurate to real-life? Like, why do I find it so hard to buy Mark's grey, melancholia ass life? And just because photos of du Pont make him seem more Vincent Cassel-sassy/charming, than bird-stuffing creepy, doesn't mean it's so. But whether this movie is true to real-life, or exaggerated for effect: I love it. Loveit.  

Okay, but I have a few questions. So let me ask them to the void. 

-What was up with Mark? Like, what was his deal? Why was he so sad? Rq can we talk about how perfect lunkhead Channy Taters is for this type of role? Like, I almost regret calling him a lunkhead because Stockard Channing seems like a really good dude. However, I am still, to this day, confused about his status as a ~movie star~. It's so bizarre, right? Like, he came up from Step Up, right? Have you seen that movie, or him in it?? How...how has he come so far? I guess 'cause he's a good dude? Tbh, being a ~good dude~ is not...something that should be considered when casting roles, imo. But I don't work in the movie industry...so...maybe it's better to get the chill dude over the more talented, but problematic dude? But, like, that's why so many movies are super-terrible? This movie is one of the exceptions, though, and Charmander was perfectly cast. Coincidentally? Probably. Do I think Bennett Miller knew he'd be good? No. I think he likes to play around with perceptions people have about certain actors and tries to pervert them. But he accidentally was successful here with his random choices, so good job being lucky!

Back to Mark being a freak. Why did he have zero self-esteem? Like, hadn't he already won a bunch of medals and shit? Or am I remembering wrong and it was just Dave? Idk. I do know he was trying to get out from under Dave's shadow, but I'm so confused how he had motivation to train when he seemed clinically, chronically depressed. How is he planning for the Olympics when it seems he's prepared to lunge himself off a bridge at any moment? Like he's talking to du Pont about how he wants to win for America! and all this shit, but the whole time I just want to wrap a fire blanket around his shoulders and rock him back and forth while he cries into my bosom. This is not a sexual fantasy at all, btw. I would never encroach on du Pont's territory ;)

Can we talk about when Mark and du Pont were in the--WAIT. First, what was that scene when Mark shows up to the du Pont estate ready to move in and shit and he's sitting in that guy's office and du Pont walks in and Mark is all excited like some dog who's been waiting for his master to come home and du Pont shades him like, "Oh, you're here?"?? Why is John Lucille Bluth? lol and why is Mark so...idk, thirsty (Gob)?? Is it because he never really had parents? lol okay 1. You're a grown man, so gather the scraps of what's left of your dignity together and glue that shit back into your asshole, and 2. Why would you choose John du Pont as your father figure? Like, he already has Dave, why is he so desperate for John? Is it because Dave has that family? Yo, Mark, dummy, you're a wrestler. Have you seen Sienna Miller? You can totally take that bitch. And those kids? You could kill them easily. Lay a smackdown on that whole family and you get your brother/daddy back. Prob solved!! 

-Speaking of daddy.

:(


:/


:,(


:((

Why was I so into Dave's look? Like, I'm always aesthetically pleasured (PLEASE) by Mark Ruffalo, but this is the ugliest he has ever been onscreen, and yet
And yet. 

Like, his hairline is...he has like a receding hairline beard mashup? It all flows into one thing?? Idk, but this nigga is grizzly and thick. I want to be dead until forever. 

I sort of hated Dave, though. Or? idk. lol, no, I didn't, but how much $$$ did du Pont offer him to come up to the estate and train? Why didn't he go initially? lol, prob cuz $25,000/yr is fucking nothing. But like Mark was talking all this "You can't buy Dave" shit and two seconds later this nigga arrives in a helicopter with the whole fam in tow. Okay. I totally supported Mark being salty and having a pouty attitude. I so felt bad for him, even though I knew he wasn't being fair? But I was Team Mark. 

lol remember when du Pont came to visit Dave and the fam in the hotel room and Dave's wife didn't get up when she said hello and Mark spazzed on her? 1. Mark is totally jealous of her placement in Dave's life, and 2. It was so cute how Dave ran after him into the hall and gave him some wrestling advice. Like, their super-gay wrestling embrace really filled me with so much - let's keep it PC - joy. And he did the same thing when Mark was having that salt-a-thon and being all pouty with the cold shoulder and everything and then he lost a match and binged on a bunch of food and tore up his hotel room and Dave like BUST IN - this nigga kicked Mark's hotel room door in - and like (after slapping him ugh) enveloped his baby bro in a full-body hug?? GUT MY INNARDS. And then later he was holding Mark's head as he threw up in the toilet and ugh this whole thing made me want to cry it was mad tender - please!! And then he was working with Mark to get his weight down and protecting him from du Pont - I had cry feelings the whole time and was so happy. But it was also bittersweet. du Pont gon' kill you, Dave :/

I definitely hated knowing all along du Pont was going to murk Dave. Like when they were having that meeting and Dave's like "I need to know my brother's being supported" - like, I want to be happy and feel proud of Dave and relieved for Mark, but I just know this shit sealed his fate. Why are you, like, such a good guy, Dave? It was your kiss of death! 

-DID YOU REALLY NEED TO SHOW ME THE DEATH SCENE? A movie I wanted a death scene from: American Sniper. That movie was sort of boring, and a death scene would have added some much-needed excitement. (Yep, I am trash). Also, I didn't become emotionally attached to Chris Kyle. Idk if it was Clint's direction or Bradley's acting or what, but I remained detached from the character/person. That was not the case here with Dave and Mark, and I just really did not want to see John roll up on Dave. And it was so fucking eerie and horrifying. "Do you have a problem with me, Dave?" omg. And he didn't even let Dave answer, he just immediately started shooting?? Give this nigga a chance to answer, hello! And who shoots Dave? He's so nice! And he was wearing a cuddly sweater! Smh

-Steve Carell was really good as du Pont. 
(gpoy)

Like, I stan hard for this performance. It was beyond creepy and disturbing. Everything was killing me: the nose, du Pont's mommy issues, how pathetic he was, that story about how his mom paid the chauffeur's kid to be his friend - it was all so beautiful. And I'm at a loss trying to decide if J.K. Simmons was better than him and deserved the Oscar more. Idk, man. I think I'd probably always lean towards giving it to the one with the fake nose more? I can't even decide if I loved Whiplash more than this. No, I think I loved it slightly more? But du Pont is definitely scarier to me than Fletcher. No, just think: who would you rather wake up to standing at the foot of your bed? Yeah, I know: neither. But if you had to choose, for some reason? Fletcher, right? He'd berate you for your sleeping style, but that's fine compared to whatever du Pont'd be doing. He'd have like one of his stuffed birds perched on his shoulder, trying to pressure it into snorting a line of coke. Maybe he's reciting a love poem he wrote for you to whisper in his ear later? *shudders*

I just checked and imdb tells me Steve Carell was nominated in the best actor category sigh. Do you think I'm erasing all that shit I wrote up there? No, I made some good points. Also, can you believe Eddie Redmayne won? Like, I haven't seen The Theory of Everything - I'm sure it's as Oscar baity as it can be and all the awarrdsssss - but...Eddie is a ginger. His last name is Redmayne. You can't be giving prizes and medals and shits to gingers, they'll start to think we accept them as humans  - we don't, and stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey