Sunday, July 31, 2016

Spotlight (2015)


This felt more like a TV movie to me. But like a pretentious, full of itself one. Like The Normal Heart. Just some ultra self-important shit that HBO markets as an EVENT. Not even hating, I love those movies, but idk about it being a leaving your house to go see in the theater sort of affair. Spotlight was definitely not all that. I'd go see this as a play, though. But with...stage actors. Replace everyone except for Ruffalo and Tucci with...more interesting on and off Broadway types, no offense. A little offense. 

Anyway, Spotlight was pretty good, but it could've been better. Tbh, the best medium I would have liked to see this in would be as a mini-series. Have the investigation and everything unfold over like eight episodes maybe, or whatever the typical number of eps miniseries have. I liked the interactions between the characters and it would've been cool to learn a bit more about them, and just have more information regarding the scandal. They did that thing in the movie where they kind of skip years and it's like blah blah a year or so after 9/11! Woulda been cool to see them struggling more with after 9/11 came through stealing their thunder. Also woulda have been cool to see more interactions with priests and the clergy, though I'm not sure how realistic that would have been. Did the paper even speak that much with them? Idk. But just that little scene when Sacha visited that priest at his home was super-effective and chilling and shit. Def would've been cool to see more interactions. Or even more interviews with the boys who were abused, but maybe that's just me being a glutton for punishment. I just want to see some terrible ass shit! 

Let's talk about performances!! Really loved Mark Ruffalo as Mike Rezendes. I felt he really Did That. Was he nommied for an Oscar? I feel like he was. I feel like multiple people were but I have no idea and my lazy ass is not going to look so!! I know Rachel was. I think. 87% I'm sure she was. But wait lemme talk about Mark more before I get into dragging my bae Rachel lol. So I loved Marky Mark! And I be straight-up hatin' on Mark, like, a lot. I'm a fan, but I feel he be playing the same shit in every movie lol. Like when he was nominated for The Kids Are All Right I was like bitch, where? All this nigga did was wear a motorcycle jacket and be a douche. Actually, that might have been the most amazing performance ever because isn't Ruffle Chips like the sweetest little bean of all time? And prob vegan so he would never wear a leather jacket! Omg, iconic! I completely change my mind. Lol no but he was good in this and I was like yass more scenes with Rezendes can I get a Rezendes TV show!! Would I watch it? No. Who watches TV? Well if they put it on Netflix maybe. But prob I'd just ignore it. I be ignoring mad ~Netflix originals~. How you gon' be like an independent thing but still making all this typical ass shit SIGH ANYWAY!! 

Okay Rachel. I stay being like "Why does no one respect my bae, Rachel McAdams?" and then I see her take tragic ass jobs such as True Detective 2: True Detectivier (which she was the best thing about, btw), and underwhelm my ass in Spotlight while at the same time getting nominated for her first Oscar and I'm like, sigh, "Not like this". This was in no way a nominatable performance from Rachel. Regina George in Mean Girls was. And no her role in Mean Girls is not why I cape for this white. I think she's good overall and always brings something to roles. She brought something to Sacha, but she didn't Do That. So idk what all this Oscar nomination shit is. They should give her an Oscar for making True Detective Season 2 not be the worst most horrible thing of all time ever. It only almost was, because she elevated it a tiny smidge. Give her an Oscar for that mess, not Spotlight in which she was overshadowed by nearly everyone eventho she was the only woman and the spotlight (ha) should've been on her just for that alone, BUT ANYWAY, GIRL! Maybe this nom will get her into better things? I am rooting for Rachel because I think she has the stuff. But maybe I am wrong? No, I am right. I am usually always right. I was wrong about Hiddleston, though. BUT THAT WAS ONE TIME! ONE TIME! Come on! Btw, if they make his desperate ass Bond I am personally killing Barbara Broccoli meself. Idc. I don't even stan for Bond like that, but if they make Tom's fake-Fassbender, "I luv *vomits* T Swift" ass Bond I'm getting a pair of safety scissors and coming for that racist bih. MAKE IDRIS BOND! OR IF YOU CAN'T DO A BLACK DUE TO THE QUEEN TRYING TO KEEP HER MANDINGO FETISH ON THE DL, GET TOM HARDY! THOSE ARE YOUR ONLY OPTIONS, BYE!! 

So other performances I liked! Lol save me. 

I was into...oh, obviously: Stanley Touché. Forever bae. Completely delivered. And I got so hype to see who Garabedian was gonna be cuz they were hyping it and I was like omg who is it and it was Stanley and I was like "good". I feel like Tucci wasn't nominated, but he should've been if there weren't better performances from that year. Idk, I don't even be paying attention to half these Oscar baity movies anymore. I do know Tom Hardy was nominated for best supporting actor and that he should've won but I'm not gonna get into that because I honestly feel weird for how hard I stan for this white boy. Yes, he has dick suck lips, and yes that makes him mulatto in my eyes, but it's NOT OKAY! And I need to get it together. Sigh, please be part Cherokee or something so I feel better pleeeease.

Who else slayed? Mmmm not necessarily slayed but Brian d'Arcy James gave me a few good moments. He was giving me way way subdued Joe Mantello in The Normal Heart teas. Just randomly turning up on occasion and delivering. I wonder if he's a stage actor. But guess what? I'm not looking it up. Fuck off to a ~~movie review~~ blog run by someone who isn't a total mess of a person who isn't reviewing a movie that came out like a fucking year ago that loves Tom Hardy so much 80% cuz he gives quadroon teas. It's the same reason I'm into that Gavin boy. Is it okay for kids to be meems? Idk. If I have a kid I want him to be a meme. This will prevent him from being molested by a Catholic priest, completely sure of this.

I also liked Liev Schreiber! lol please. I liked how controlled and a Jew he was. Is it okay to like a character because they're a Jew? Bitch, try and stop me. Anyway, I keep...I don't want to say this but I keep "accidentally" catching little ~celeb gossip~ tidbits about Liev. Long story short: he cray. It makes me like him more. Like I want to see more Liev things. Because I'm a typical bitch. Remember his character in Salt? Lol no one remembers that, but anyway pretty sure that's just him in real life. BUT YOU AINT HEAR IT FROM ME! Anyway, I need to watch that mess he got on Showtime or wherever. But ugh it looks annoying. Also I think Pooch Hall is in it? Okay, now I DEFINITELY need to watch it sigh.

Who else? Oh the dude who played Phil Saviano was good. Slayed as a former-molested. Please. Actually, all the adult former-molesteds were interesting. Too lazy to look up their names: but the gay one, and then that depressed one with the kid (also probably gay let's be honest!!!). No, what am I doing? Anyway, Michael Keaton was also in this. I don't understand why I like Michael Keaton. But I do. Everyone does. That's the way it should be, let's not question it. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey