Sunday, June 25, 2017

Girlboss (2017)

I thought I was going to hate this. Which is why I watched it. I love watching shit...to hate it? It's fun. But this actually wasn't that bad. I don't really know that NastyGal broad too much. I never bought any of the clothes or read any of the write-ups on her, so I'm in the dark for the most part. I did...hear about the hernia, for some reason. And how she stole clothes or something lol to sell on ebay blah blah. So I was able to get a small kind of impression on her, and that impression was #trash. But like that new kind of #trash. That post-Bridesmaids, Amy Schumer kind where it's like This is revolutionary! This is feminism! So people celebrate it a bit and you're like OMG, please no? & stop
 
So that's why I was excited to watch, because I'm thinking I'm fin to settle in and be thoroughly disgusted, which is very entertaining for me :) And honestly, the Sophia "character" is mad...awful? Like a bad friend and in general human being? I did not care about her being like not a great girlfriend, but her bae kinda knew what he was getting into from jumpstreet I think? Also he ended up cheating. It wasn't possible for me to care less because I already didn't care at all, but if it were possible to care less when you initially start out having zero cares, I would have. Cared less.

She was def douchey to her friend, Annie. I kind of...It took me a while to get into Annie lol. I just kept staring at her hair like...why is it like that? And then it kept increasing in confusion-making for me. But she was also mad annoying. Like when she was mad at Sophia for not having her in her Top 8 (my god), I was like lol is this bitch serious. But then they did a backstory thing and I was like awwww. And over the course of the series I was coming around to her. But she was still annoying and why does her boyfriend LOOK LIKE THAT. 
 
I kind of loved all the like 2005-2007ish? references? I think the series left off at 2008? But I was dying at them watching Marissa die (I weirdly never saw this even tho I watched The OC? Meh I was more a One Tree Hill kind of broad. It was just...better. But dying at them shading Summer). Also them talking about Britney's breakdown which pretty much spanned this timeframe, I think? And then like Myspace? And then like someone being able to create some massive business off Ebay? Lol, throwback.
 
My fave character was def Gail played by my bae Melanie Lynskey, so imma need more of her next season. But maybe that won't be feasible, since if the show is following close to real-life, NastyGal gets super big off of ebay, and that's where Gail came from. First of all can we talk about how I loved how they did them chatting in ebay forums? It was so fucking funny to me, especially the one talking in ALL CAPS. But wait can we discuss Sophia being kind of gross and ruining vintage clothes? Or I guess ~making them cooler~??? She was just snipping away I was like...omgggg lol. Like the edits she made to clothes in the show.........none of it was cute lol. They didn't show her doing that too much (good idea), but when they did I was unimpressed, at best. It was awkward. Like when she cut up that dress that was actually cute and made some...idk cover-up type of vest thing for her friend and belted it? Vomitrotious. And that vintage dress Gail really loved was mad ugly to start with, but Sophia just made it uglier? Idk girl, I'm not sure what's going on. But maybe the NastyGal aesthetic is just not for me. I mean, it's called NastyGal. Y'all being too white for me. 

So my #whitebae Hank from Breaking Bad, Dean Norris, plays Sophia's dad and they have an awkward, like non-connected sort of relationship, but it's kind of sweet? Or slowburn sweet, maybe? Idk, we'll see. But meeting Sophia's mom and seeing how fucking tragic she is, it shines the dad in this...like way better light lol. It shows he's her foundation etc. Like her visiting her mom for Christmas and it being a mess and then she ends up having dinner with her dad I was like awww. But if Sophia is anything like her mother (seems a lot like? tragic), she may eventually completely separate from her dad, like her mom, and I am absolutely not here for that storyline. Wait - is this show getting a second season? Um, it better? Sophia will only get worse the more successful she becomes and I need all of that, thanks! 

No, because I really like the series and think it's good. Well-written, maybe? And probably good acting? Can't tell, but if Britt Robertson is nothing like Sophia, then yeah good acting. And this shit is just intriguing and I want more. I hope they keep the gay dude and his mom; make up some contrived reasons for them to be around like they did with them at the end of the season lol. Um...that scary robot model chick they work with. Bettina. Need more of that. More of my #baldbae Dean. More RuPaul because it's RuPaul. And hopefully none of Shane who was sketch from day one when he was talking about how crazy his ex was and Sophia was like was she crazy or were u just a cheater and it was like boom, roasted, but broad you went on to date the dude (and for two years??!), so let's not. 

Anyway is it weird to see your horrible self a bit in Sophia and feel uncomfortable about yourself and think hmm maybe I should be in therapy but then you think how if you go to therapy you'll just be cracking jokes or tryna Elliot Anderson your therapist so it's just a complete fucking waste of time, as well as life? This blog deserves a nobel peace prize, honestly.


Wait, smh, I just saw Netflix cancelled this shit. OKAY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey