Sunday, May 14, 2017

The Temptations (1998)

This is my favorite LEON movie I've never seen. Leon is my favorite auntie, and I want to see anything he's sashaying shanteing in. I've been wanting to see The Temptations for ages because I would see people/gifs quoting that Aint nobody comin' 2 see u Otis scene and I would die inside with so much happiness. I just knew this movie would hit all my Leon spots. Anyway, can someone make it illegal for me to have this blog? Thanks.

So I watched this on YouTube (please...) and they made it like a movie, but this was originally a miniseries? I hope I didn't miss any bits, but honestly it was mad long lol so I think it was summed up pretty good. OR MAYBE NAH! CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW THE MINISERIES/MOVIE MAKES THE MAIN DUDE (WHOSE FUCKING NAME I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER) (LEMME GO CHECK) (IS IT WOODY?) (I'M FUCKING SKREEMING IT'S OTIS) (I LITERALLY JUST WROTE ABOUT THAT FAMOUS QUOTE LOL I WANT TO DIE) (What the fuck kind of name is Otis smh) 

Anyway....sigh. Can we talk about how the movie doesn't really make Otis look bad or put him at fault for anything? At one point towards the end when Leon kind of thanked Otis for ~being hard on him~ I was kind of like, okay yeah maybe. Maybe Otis was good for cracking dat whip and he was just a good bloke and some of the older (cough) woman in the movie would be like "You're a good man, Otis" and I would be like okay yeah maybe... Lol okay but didn't he cheat on his wife? And then kind of a little expected her to get back with him? Annnnnnnnnnd he wasn't like really in his son's life? And then when his son died he kind of cried for like two seconds and then that was over????? Also all the stuff where he just kept replacing members lol. Like Otis would be like NO MAN IS BIGGER THAN THE GROUP, but you could tell he thought it was his group??? Hm. Like I don't...disagree when he ~fires~ David, or replaces that alkie lol, and I am never gonna be on team support losers. It's just the movie kinda maybe tries to paint him in the best light above everyone. I can tell this because I am suspicious of everyone and usually only see the bad things lol but while watching I was like agreeing with most of his actions and didn't really see too many flaws and that is WILDLY unusual for me, so imma just go ahead and assume he maybe had a hand in the making of the movie? Maybe not idk. But this weirdly reminded me of the Str8 Outta Compton film and how they made Dre look like he was just minding his business making beats when we all know he a demon. And then after I watched the movie, people in the Youtube comments was going the fuck in on Otis lol and I was like okay now this is adding up more. 

So!! lol. I mostly enjoyed the movie. It was HELLA corny in the beginning tho. I was like...oh boyyy. But you gotta be patient with these music biopics and their humble beginning bs. But like, honestly? They aint got to be that corny. They really don't. Like--wait, I was just about to reference Walk the Line as a good example of a movie with like no corny moments in the beginning til I remembered Johnny killed his brother or something and it get dark real quick so nvm. 

Anyway, the beginning was corny. Especially with the other niggas in the group lol it was like nah you gotta go. I really liked D.B. Woodside tho. He was funny and cute and he had that deep ass voice and I was all Leon, who? Like, Leon can stay gone tbh. (No, I'm kidding Leon should've played all the parts LET'S BE FUCKING REAL WITH IT!!). 

Okay but about twenty or so minutes into the movie we meet Leon playing David Ruffin and I am like, OKAY LET'S GO! But also around this time, two new niggas fuse with Otis and his fail band: Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams. I reallllllly loved the dude who played Paul, Christian Payton. I loved his voice, and he was just a light in the film for me. The scene where his alkie ass was pain-singing at the party was one of the litest shits I ever seen lol. I was mad sad when they shuffled his pathetic ass away. He was giving me EVERYTHING. This was why I wasn't completely sad when they kicked David out the group and Leon had to go away for long stretches because Paul's thick ass was there serving me vocals and stealing scenes so I was mainly fine.

Okay but can we talk about David? Look, I barely know anything about any of these niggas in the group. David's name is the most familiar to me, and mostly because I think he's responsible for Tammi Terrell's death? It was weird how they glossed over 1. Tammi, and also 2. David being like INSANE. Or, that's what the tea I heard made him sound like. The movie doesn't paint him as basically a demon, but more of a run of the mill egomaniac/crackhead. They could've went way harder, imo. MMMMMMHOWEVER! He was the star of the show, and Otis can stay mad about it for an eternity. I think that was the main reason why Otis kicked his beanpole ass out the group. Like, aint nobody comin to see you Otis, indeed, tbh. I don't know how it was in real life, but in the movie David was lit af and didn't the group not even pop off til he joined? *sips tea* 

Anyway, what was up with Otis' son's voice in that scene when they were playing basketball? He had like a weird voice? Lol, is...can someone answer me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey