Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Sister, Sister (1982)

So this movie concerns the Lovejoy family, specifically the three remaining liteskint Lovejoy sisters. Oh, and the oldest one has a liteskint son played by that soap dude Kristoff St. John which has to be a real name it is too ridiculous to be made up. 

This was a cool, slice of life type of movie, I suppose. Understand I watched this on youtube, and don't make me bring it up again. Okay I have to one more time to mention how someone in the comments said they missed how movies were just about life and stories instead of...idk, cars or superheroes or whatever. Agreed? In a way. Because I am not one of those people who is nostalgic. I think there are pros and cons to each era, but ultimately I am a huge champion of like, progression and moving forward and even if we get a cool little thing like this in the eighties, we have so many more resources and knowledge now to make way cooler shit? Though often we don't but that's...I'm just too stupid to get into alladat so imma just enjoy this one-off for what it is and keep it moving. Though I do want to have a moment to wish we can do more things like this now. Was this a TV movie? They definitely don't make TV movies like this now. TV movies be mad extra. This movie is just about some sisters and I am so...ruined, that the whole time I'm waiting for like some horrible incest reveal when the worst thing that was ~revealed~ was a suicide by fire, but that happened off-screen ages ago. This was just a story about sisters and a family.

So Diahann Carroll plays the snobby, sort of judgmental Carolyne Lovejoy. Judgmental for no reason cuz she fucking the pastor or whatever of her church and pretty sure homeslice is married. Also he stole from the church for some campaign shit and she helped his dusty ass. But she has the nerve to be walking around all pious, tryna tell her younger sister, Sissy, what to do, or making her older sister, Frieda, feel uncomfortable for mistakes she's made, and her...outgoing personality. 

I am not even trying to be funny, but what was the deal with Freida dancing at the church function? I didn't grow up going to church, so I am admittedly not familiar, but was it really that big a d for her to be turning up? Lol. I guess because they were singing hymns or something? I'm a godless heathen so I genuinely did not get it, but can we talk about Rosalind Cash? First of all I looked her up and I'm annoyed she's dead. And then her credits leave much to be desired. But I saw she's from New Jersey so I immediately felt I understood everything about her. I loved her whole vibe and she was chewing it the fuck up in this. Just this one performance alone in some random little TV movie makes me want to see everything she has ever done big or small. If you tell me this broad did a Alka-Seltzer commercial in 1976 - I want to see it! And I want to figure out if there's some way she can get a posthumous award for it, because I know she kills it. This is literally the only performance I've seen from her, I believe, and I just know she's slayed all the other things she's done. 
  
Can we talk about how much I hated that pastor dude--oh he was a Reverend. See! I know nothing about church shit. But I just hated his, like, small compact afro lol. And he was so obviously...greasy. A lame. Who asks their girl to bail them out financially? Their mistress at that! And Carolyne's dazzled ass just going on right along with the shit. I don't know HOW MANY TIMES this bitch mentioned in the movie that her house was all she had. If she didn't have her house she'd be nothing. Yet she mortgaged it to assist her clearly morally defunct Reverend bae? If he having an affair on his wife with you, clearly that denotes poor character. I wouldn't lend my money to shit! But especially not a nigga sneaking around on his wife. Of which I have full knowledge of! He not even tryna hide his shit from her and she just throwing all she has at him and I honestly do not understand. It's not like Carolyne ugly. You Diahann Carroll, girl, get a fuggin grip! AND HE FUCKED FREIDA!!! Smh, lemme calm down lol. Fuggin lame ass!! 

Wait but did anyone think Sissy would turn out to be Carolyne or Freida's daughter and the dad would turn out to be...the dad? See. I told you, I'm ruined. I was fully expecting some shock reveal moment like that. They shock revealed the truth behind the fire, but also that the mom didn't want to have Sissy, the dad forced her, which is part of why she killed herself. Sissy in the cut like "I knew it!" and Freida, my queen, WENT THE FUCK AWF on ol' girl like "AINT NOBODY EVER GONNA WANT YOU, YOU GOTTA WANT YOURSELF!". And honestly? Tea.

I was honestly upset at the end when Sissy left Carolyne to go do ice skating in NY. Carolyne was like begging her to stay and it was really sad? I UNDERSTAND why Sissy had to leave, it was just really sad, okay? Eventho Carolyne was a hypocritical bitch, and someone I'd go out of my way to avoid in real life, I felt bad for her. She was like largely pathetic, but not irredeemable, you know? It got even worse when Freida was insisting that she couldn't stay and Carolyne kept asking her not to go? Again, I understand why Freida would feel she needed to get the fuck on, but come on that's your sister the love of your life where are you going THIS IS UPSETTING ME! I was so happy when she came back at the end lol. How come her son and Paul Winfield aint come back in the house? Did they go to Detroit by themselves? Sus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey