Saturday, August 20, 2016

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (1977)


This was enjoyable. Is that weird to say about a movie concerning mental patients? Idk, I'm a mental patient (outpatient, escaped, blah blah), so I just like watching movies about my people. Do I sound like Jared Leto? How do I get tickets to Camp Mars? 

Anyway help me. I liked this. I assumed this'd be some random mess based on what I perceived as shitty film quality, and also the #aesthetic reminded me of some weird seventies "horror film" I watched once that was basically just about a bunch of hippies doing shrooms in the forest. (Is that every horror film from the seventies?). Anyway, this wasn't that. This was like legitly engrossing; a women's One Flew, I guess. But less Hollywood. No extra ass Jack Nicholson raising his eyebrows at you. 

Kathleen Quinlan plays the main "nut", Deborah, and I really liked her here. It was an intriguing performance, if not a doing the most one at times. She reminded me of Kristen Stewart for some reason, but, like, if Kristen had any depth and could act. So nothing like Kristen Stewart, let's move on! 

So K. Quin plays a crazy bitch named Deborah who's brought to an asylum by her parents after she attempts suicide. I never for one second understood what was going on with Deborah, or why she wanted to kill herself. I think they said she was schizo. The movie shows us ~her other world~, and we hear her other voices sometimes, so, you know...maybe that's enough. However, I felt...there was...a point of trauma for Deborah that the movie never touched on. They went over her imagining throwing her baby sister out the window, her mother "abandoning" her after she suffers a miscarriage, and also her father constantly warning her about other men, which her therapist implies is because he wants to fuck her. First of all: WHOA, THERE! lol, like her therapist couldn't wait to start work on her next paper lol you doing the most. But anyway, I felt the things Deborah expressed about her past...none of those things seemed to be the ingredients for a schizo soup (sorry). Or, at least, they didn't seem to be all the ingredients, you know? Or are you just born schizophrenic? But doesn't it need to be ~activated~? Idk, Deborah seemed like she had PTSD or something, so I was annoyed they didn't really unearth what ~happened~ to her. But whatever, it was still fascinating to watch. 

I loved the other patients in the hospital as well. Lee, who reminded me of Nicky from OITNB for some reason. She was a ~character~. The teacher from Splendor in the Grass and the crazy mom from Sybil playing some hypersexual who kept crying rape - loved her lol. Um who else? Sylvia Sidney as Carol, obviously. The ~geometry teacher~. Tell me why this little bitch threw an entire bed! BUT YO! WHY WAS HOBBS GUT PUNCHING HER LIKE THAT?? Like, she's one thousand years old. I was lowkey glad he Sylvia Plathed himself. I don't know why Deborah got upset, but anyway! 

I liked some other patients um...the woman who kept saying "Silly bitch", "Silly bitches" lol when Lee and them was singing. That old chick who played Joan of Arc and threw that gruel in Deborah's face - just a lot of mental baes to love in this. I also liked McPherson for the same reason Deborah said she liked him, "He treats you like a person". He was nice lol I like nice. I need not constant badness, you know? This movie was actually sort of uplifting. It had a fairly positive ending with Deborah deciding she'd maybe be alright ~on the outside~. It was cute when she played baseball for a few seconds with Dennis Quaid and them. Clint Howard was like "We play here every week!", so I guess she got a boo lined up when she get out :/ 

Oh, also shout out to Bibi Andersson. I love seeing my Bergman Baes in stuff outside of his movies. She was Joanne Woodward in Sybil-lite. No shade. A little shade. How you just gon' leave Deborah for five weeks talking bout some rest? Know who never gets a rest? The voices inside Deborah's head! But no, you got a conference in Switzerland. Anyway, I need therapy. But I feel I would just be joking too much and being sarcastic and shit and it wouldn't work on me. I'd be asking my therapist if they prefer butter or margarine and they'd be swiftly recommending me to someone else and then I'd ask the new therapist what they prefer and it'd just be a never-ending cycle. Anyway, I am fine :')

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey