Saturday, November 19, 2016

Str8 Outta Compton (2015)

So I've never cared about anyone depicted in this film, barring Tupac. No Whites Allowed was out when I was like a baby, I think. They were over by the time I was a kid. The only member who was on my radar was Ice Cube due to Friday and other movies, but I never cared about his acting with the exception of his performance in Boyz n the Hood

N.W.A to me was Eazy. I never knew anything about them. I just saw Eazy and his jheri curl. I thought he was the BeyoncĂ© of the group and then Cube was...Kelly? And Dre was the other one. I swear to gawd before watching this movie I had no idea there were other N.W.A members beyond Eazy, Cube and Dre. This is how little I know or care about N.W.A, so when this movie first came out I was interested solely because I like biopics, but I was in no rush to see it.  

But finally I did and I'm so glad! Or...hmm, maybe that exclamation point was a bit overkill; also saying so glad. It's a bit much. But I did enjoy myself, and honestly I wasn't expecting it lol come on let's get serious. 

So the casting was pretty amazing, no? Truly, O'Shea Jackson and Jason Mitchell were iconic? I have to give it to Jason Mitchell the most out of everyone, he was so good. He don't even look like Eazy, but I was reading on some forum someone said he like completely embodied Eazy's essence and spirit and I totally agree. Which is wild lol, as I know nothing about Eazy-E, but I feel I could sense his spirit, and Jason painted that exactly. Definitely excited to see more from him in the future. 

O'Shea. lol. I was reading someone said he read his lines like he was slow and, again, I completely agree lol, but I also thought he was exactly his father. But if he would've fucked up this performance it would have highkey been a mess lol you've been known this nigga for twenty-some years, so, that's a lot of time to study. He did a good job. He also made me be interested in Ice Cube, which I definitely initially was very much not? Like, one, I had no idea Ice Cube wrote. Again, this is how little I know or care. But I also was impressed by his...convictions? And I liked how he questioned everything. I'm sure Cube was portrayed in as good of a light as they could get, so I don't want to stan too hard lest I find out he's some huge prick, but I did like how he was portrayed in the film, and it made me feel respect for him. 

Corey Hawkins...was less impressive. First of all, his acting in the scene after Dre finds out his brother was killed, was almost abysmal. This nigga 'sposed to be crying, I saw NO TEARS. lol, overall this performance was pretty whack, and this nigga don't even look like Dr. Dre. Kinda missed the mark with this, though I ultimately did buy him as Dre. However, thumbs down at the movie for making Dr. Dre seem like all he did was make beats and mind his business. I've heard a lot of things about this fool, so, um, doubt it

lol, the dude who played Suge Knight...was both bad and good? lol, don't know how to explain. He seemed too small physically? Though I'm not sure how big Suge Knight actually is, so maybe it was accurate. But also the guy was giving me like Moroccan or Arab teas occasionally lol. But I thought he captured Suge's sugeness. I'd watch a whole movie about Suge, though I'm sure its dark energy would make me have to watch a bunch of cartoons afterwards, or youtube videos where people eat 50,000 calories in a day. No, that is also dark-sided. Two darks don't make a light. Don't ever make that mistake again. 

Anyway! OMG MY BAE LAKEITH! Is it Keith or LaKeith?? Idk, but he is kabae. (please take my life away). lol, literally Keith had 0.06 seconds of screen time, but he was UHmazing. #actingbae. I remember thinking he gave Snoop Dogg teas before ever finding out he was in this, so spot-on casting imo. He did the voice and alladat. I was living for his -.02 seconds of screen time. Scene stealer with two lines bae. Oh, also the dude who played Tupac? Um, amazing? Sigh I can't wait til this 2pac biopic comes out. It better be lit or imma be pissed. 

Giamatti was good as Jerry Heller. Giamatti's always good. That's lowkey bae. (Don't wanna talk about it!!!). I couldn't decide from the film if Jerry was really screwing them over. I mean, I guess? He's white so prob. Let's skip over that and talk about how the movie made it seem like he was in love with Eazy?? I'd buy it. lol when Eazy fired him he was acting like this nigga asked for a divorce. It was very emotional. But never do those lacefront cornrows again. Never!! 

What else did I care about? Oh, No Vaseline. That shit was iconic? Like okay Ice Cube, go awf lol. Side-eye @ Heller for only gettin' hype about the "anti-Semitic" bit. I loved that scene, though, how the b-girls or whatever were nodding their heads and enjoying the song lol. How everyone was, really. Then Eazy saying how they were gonna get in the studio and come back harder and then DJ Yellowstone National Park or whatever was like "probably not" or some shit. Iconic.  

Anyway this movie was really good and it almost made me want to check out some of the music. But alas, I am a black female human, so I doubt I won't be extremely offended and disgusted lol, so, I'll pass :') Might snatch up "No Vaseline", though. It's mad homophobic maybe, but also lit? But also super-gay, effectively cancelling out the homophobia and making it okay to consume. What does Ice Cube know about Vaseline, hmm? *sips Capri Sun* sus.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey