Sunday, April 12, 2015

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)


I've been an Oscar Isaac stan ever since I saw that horrible music video Sucker Punch in fucking theaters and he was the best thing about it and I was all like "Who is she?". And then I feel like immediately after Sucker Punch he kind of blew up and I love when stuff like that happens. Even though it probably wasn't exactly like that. He probably had a slow burn climb and I was cliché and came in just as he was getting big. But anyway I totally discovered him and he's my son and I'm so proud of all the work I put in to make him the successful man he is today and I better fucking be the #1 shout-out when he makes his inevitable oscar speech for best actor for literally it could be any movie because he's amazing and best actor always. 

I knew Oscie could sing good from this shitty movie I saw about fucking adult idiots coming back to their hometown for a high school reunion starring Channing and Jenna Dewan Tatum and Rosario Dawson who people really sleep on and also Oscar was in it and he sang a little ditty and I was like "oh". Oh in a good way. So, like, he's good at singing and doing guitar stuff so he was really suited to be in this movie as the Marcus Mumford avatar. :) 

Oscar plays some dude named Llewyn Davis which I...I feel like I'm still mispronouncing Llewyn even after a bunch of people kept saying his name in the movie??? I feel like I keep saying it "Lou-lin". But it's..."Lou-in". Right? Ugh what is this name lol. He's all like it's a Welsh name and then talks about how his mom was Italian??? Okay Llewyn but how does??? that?? explain???? anything???? 

So this cat daddy's name is Llewyn! Sorry for just writing cat daddy! Won't happen again!! Except I did sort of just...Anyway!! Llewyn is like the typical charming loser dude from so many movies lol except this one is a little different because he's a folk singer. And he has a cool blazer and like a scarf
and...those mittens with the fingers cut off which are 100% useless and also he has a cat. The cat is from the Gorfein's house, where Llewyn spent the night because he is homeless and couch surfs. The cat escapes the apartment as Llewyn is leaving to go do bummy stuff around town like look for other couches to sleep on, or...what else does he do?? I guess get gigs??? He definitely pops by Jean and Jim's apartment, to ask if he can stay with them the night??? I wonder why Llewyn doesn't get like a "benefactor" sort of thing set up for himself??? Like an older woman with money or more likely an older man??? Like a lot of artists do?? Maybe he's too pure. Yeah, probably he's too ~authentic~~ to have a benefactor. Though I don't know how that's any worse than bumming on your friends' couches. And are these people even friends? Like certainly Adam Driver in a cowboy hat isn't a friend, and Jean hates this nigga. 

CAN WE TALK ABOUT JEAN.

Like, wow she really hates Llewyn lol. She definitely thinks he's a loser, like...not even thinks...she straight-up calls him one to his face. Also she says everything he touches turns to shit which is not...exactly even close to a lie, so. I really loved Carey Mulligan as Jean, like her extreme contempt was just vibrating off the screen and I was 2,000% here for it. And I loved her interactions with Oscar/Llewyn, they were definitely my favorite bits. I do wonder, though, like where her hate really comes from? I get that Llewyn is sort of a huge loser in many ways, but they seem to have a deep history? So I wonder if there was like an exact incident that sort of spurred her fury? Does she blame him for Mike's death? Also, why does she sleep with him?? Is she in love with him?? Was she drunk?? So many questions hello movie!! I felt like maybe Llewyn loved her? But of course Jean wouldn't want to be with him because she wants security, right? And like a kid and the picket fence and all that mess? And in no way could Llewyn provide that. Well............................lowkey.....................he did sort of provide..........a...........kid............ 

So at Jean and Jim's! Llewyn meets this doofy kid played by Stark Sands and I totally forget his name but he's a real country bumpkin type. But he's also a folk singer bro and he performs and people love him and Llewyn is sort of throwing shade, I guess? Definitely he doesn't understand how people could be into him and also he's jealous because of course this kid will be successful and Llewyn, who thinks highly of himself, or at least his music, won't. Or it at least won't happen as easily as it will for the kid. The kid says he's playing this big venue in Chicago and this sort of spurs Llewyn to hitch a ride there to try and get a spot on the stage as well. Okay and at this point Llewyn has the cat that's not Ulysses, right? He's been to the Gorfein's and bitched at Lillian for singing AND CAN WE TALK ABOUT THAT RQ. 

1. Totally think it's gross for people to be like "omg sing please!!" to ppl who profesh sing for a living. Like totally agree with Llewyn that he's not a circus monkey or whatever. 
2. It was weird when Lillian was singing Mike's part? Also...wait...where they Mike's parents? No, right? Did I totally miss something? That would explain why they sort of quickly forgave him for spazzing...
3. oh but this was also when Lillian discovered the cat Llewyn brought back was not, in fact, her cat. Which I 100% called and was 100% hilarious when it played out. LIKE LLEWYN IS JUST SITTING IN THE CAFE AND SPOTS SOME RANDOM TABBY RUNNING AROUND OUTSIDE AND JUST GOES OUT AND GRABS IT LIKE YES THIS IS THE CAT!!! lol, hello you live in New York there are cats running around everywhere. But, whatever, it looked like their cat and I wouldn't have questioned it either. Lol but it...wasn't the same gender so lol he could have at least checked that??? But again I also would not have...bothered with that. Wait, am I a Llewyn Davis-level loser? But worse because I don't even have folk singing talent and a cool blazer???????? 

So after his blow-up at the Gorfeins', Llewyn takes not-Ulysses and hitches a ride with Garrett Hedlund, who appears to have walked straight off the set of On the Road, and John Goodman, being extra fucking Nawlins for no reason in the backseat. So.......................what was the purpose of Hedlund and Goodman? Because certainly there was one, right? This movie was definitely full of references to shit that I have...like I don't know them lol. I am not familiar with a lot of like sixties folk music. I listen to Simon & Garfunkel end stop. I don't really know Bob Dylan's music. Tbh I'm uninterested. I'm sure it's great! lol But yeah definitely this movie was ass-packed with a lot of callbacks to that era and the music and a lot of obscure shit that I would have no concept of. But I didn't feel like I needed to get the references to enjoy the movie. It would be nice to know, though, what the Coens were going for with Goodman and Hedlund's characters? lol just because I feel like it was such an odd...series of scenes?? And it felt...like...um, almost a dream sequence? Full of like...metaphors or something very fake deep and all of that? But maybe not, idk. It'd be cool to know...why Hedlund had no lines. Or why you'd bring in his beautiful, deep ass, country ass voice and not have him perform?!?!? Or why he was directly copy + pasted from On the Road into this movie and only had like one line!?!? I did like when he spoke his like one line and both Llewyn and the cat were like
That was very much a moment for me. BUT WHAT THE HECK WITH THE COP? I assumed the cop was arresting him so he could take Hedlund and get some head or something. Which, gross. But lol again I'm wondering why randomly throw that in? Probably a reference, right? Or addressing weird shit cops did in the sixties to types like Hedlund? I DON'T KNOW!! HELP EXPLAIN!!! But Hedlund's "type" was definitely being a boytoy of sorts, non? He was Goodman's "chauffeur"...but...chauffeur with quotes because the quotes are important, yeah?? Sigh, idk. And then to end this weird dream sequence, Llewyn fucking leaves the cat. Of course he can't take care of a cat, I guess? But I was like just sigh. And then he runs over it later maybe??? HE DEFINITELY HITS AN ANIMAL WITH A CAR. And omg I thought he was going to run over and get the cat but he didn't!?! Help hello!! I'm not even an animal person and I think cats are straight-up demons but hello you hit it help!!! Help it!! Ugh, w/e. And then later they had me feeling bad for Llewyn when he was walking around in the snow getting his little sock wet and freezing his ass off and omg I'm just remembering how fucking anxious this movie was making me the whole time and I was just so worried for Llewyn but at the same time getting really Jean-level irritated with him?? Help why do I feel these things?? 

And then you had him get to Chicago and audition for F. Murray Abraham and he played that beautiful song about like...England and queens or something??? And I was like "yaas", especially when he was making deep eye-contact with F. Murray. And then when he stopped playing, F. Murray was like "I don't see any $$$$$$$$ in it" and was like "oh but I'm organizing this group" and being like "stay out of the sun" ????? and how he could probably get something going for Llewyn. And Llewyn is like "I already had a partner" (R.I.P. @ me) and then F. Murray is like "yeah that makes sense" (R.I.P. @ me agaiininininin). So rude omg. And Llewyn's face when F. Murray said that shit about money and how he's getting a group together and just his realization he did all that traveling for nothing (R.I.P. @ me a third time why do I keep dying). But also at the same time I was feeling my Jean feelings like "okay, you dummy, but who told you to go to Chicago???". Right?? Uh I hate this movie. No jk I was into it. Like I definitely liked it even though I hated everyone and everything and why did Llewyn have to heckle that nice old bitch when she was trying to perform? Like...you sort of deserved to get beat in that alley?? And how dare you be like "this isn't the opera"? Um, do you have no respect for yourself in any way or??? Like no wonder you got your ass beat come on Llewyn love yourself please!!!

Should I talk about the music? I liked it. It was cool. That Fare Thee Well song sounded very Mumford & Sons but I like Mumford & Sons so it was all good lol. And wow if I can just get like an Oscar Isaac album. Right??? DOES THAT EXIST. Like, Scott Grimes has an album...a lot of way more irrelevant actors have albums omg Oscar prob does, too! I will check rq right now!! Hmmm I don't see an album, but he's def on the soundtrack for this movie and has some other little songs out I think so that's cool but seriously I just want a whole album thanks :) thanks sweetie get on that right now :) and Hedlund too :)) Like you made me suffer through Country Strong please don't make me watch that movie again just to watch your performances :))) thank you :))

Do I want to talk about Please Please Mr. Kennedy? No. I will just be happy Justin Timberlake had a not-significant amount of screen time. It wasn't zero amount, so I'm a little salty about that...but...okay, I'll be fine with the like five minutes he did have. But 100% I'm skipping over the Please Please Mr. Kennedy scene the next time I watch this. UGH NO I CAN'T BECAUSE OSCAR DOES A LITTLE FACE AT ADAM DRIVER WHEN HE'S MAKING THOSE NOISES AND THEN ASKS JIM "WHO WROTE THIS SONG" AND JIM IS LIKE "I DID" AND IT'S THE BEST UGH FUCK!

bye


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey