Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Girl, Interrupted (1999)


love movies about lunatics and depression and asylums and people being depressed lunatics in asylums. I definitely haven't discovered my quintessential loony bin film yet, but Girl, Interrupted is pretty good and definitely one of my favorites. 

I'm not sure if this movie is an accurate portrayal of a crazy people place, especially not one from the fucking sixties, which is when I think this movie takes place. Whoopi Goldberg does say at one point, though, that Claymoore is very lowkey compared to other places she's worked at. And Daisy's dad is able to buy her a private room, so this isn't fucking Cropsey, you know? And I'm not worried tootoo much about accuracy, just because I don't know what it's like inside a mental health facility, and also this movie was based on a diary of supposed events that actually happened so. I do get suspicious of movies like this though because I feel like they try to tie things up neatly at the end in an awkward way. Like you go from Daisy killing herself to Susanna suddenly doing really well in therapy and then being released and being all like "Hmm was I really crazy? lol idk!" Like

But I like to ignore flaws in my favorite things because I love them and love is blind. Oui?! Hmmm a sort of glaring flaw in this movie though is lowkey maybe idk Winona Ryder?? Or...idk. I like Winona Ryder, I think. But she's sort of Kristen Stewarty in that she isn't really a good actress, but does bring a particular something to the table. Winona is in some of my favorite things, such as this^ movie, Heathers, and Reality Bites. But sometimes I feel like she just got lucky picking good/interesting movies to be in, and that their success has almost nothing to do with her appeal?? Because I'll watch something like The Age of Innocence where you maybe really need to be bringing some acting skills? And she has none to speak of orrrrrr??? And here in Girl, Interrupted, she's hella overshadowed by pretty much everyone. And it's weird to read that maybe she thought this was supposed to be some major OScar mOMENT for her? lol okay as if. OMG I JUST CHECKED HER IMDB PAGE AND SHE WAS NOMINATED FOR AGE OF INNOCENCE JFC ARE U KIDDING LOL. Wow the Oscars are trash lol 

Okay I'm done laughing super hard at that mess. Let's talk about Winona as Susanna. I think...the Susanna part is that part in any movie where there's like a white woman/man.......around "minorities", and we see how they see these underprivileged humans suffer, through their...you know, like, bland cis straight white eyeballs. And I know I'm talking about how Susanna is white, and saying shit like "minorities" when basically everyone in this movie is white - I know. Susanna is the ~straight man~ in this movie, I guess. Compared to everyone else. She's Michael Bluth. And also she's like Hilary Swank in Freedom Writers lol all at the same time. And "minorities" in this movie are people who seem to be actually crazy, instead of the fake crazy Susanna seems to be. And I halfway hesitate to accuse Susanna of faking, but I feel like the movie does a terrible job convincing us this bitch is a legit nutter. She has a case of the discontents, I guess? Or maybe that's...like one of the points of the film? That you were committed to an insane asylum in the sixties if you...were depressed? But also she tried to kill herself didn't she? I mean, she denies it, but taking an entire bottle of pills with an entire bottle of vodka is...at least a little bit...a message. Hmm, but anyway, all this is to say I think there's not as much to do with the Susanna character as there is to do with the Lisa character, or Daisy character AND NOW THAT BRINGS ME TO TALKING ABOUT MY TWO FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT THIS MOVIE AND WHY AM I WRITING IN ALL CAPS MAYBE I SHOULD BE SENT TO CLAYMOORE LOL I DON'T HEALTH INSURANCE I THINK LOL SO NVM

This movie is sort of upsetting in that I get two basically perfect performances from Brittany Murphy and Angelina Jolie and then...that's it for them. Wait, no. Sigh. Angelina also kills it in Gia and Changeling. And I haven't seen all her movies...I haven't seen Maleficent yet; that looks like it might give me an interesting performance from her, but siiiiiigh. I feel like Angelina has been like an ~~action star~~ for the majority of her career and I just could not be fucking less interested in that. Yeah, I saw Salt, and...tbh I regret it lol. She was hot/cool in Wanted, but that movie was all about James McAvoy, let's keep it real. Just based off this movie and Changeling and Gia, I think she has chops and I think she's interesting to watch and I wish she did...better, more intriguing shit. But to be honest, like, I have Eva Green, so it honestly doesn't even really matter anymore for Angelina to act. But I'll still always hold out hope she'll come out with a new film and there'll be a killer acting performance from her. Maybe By the Sea will be good? lol pass on Salt 2, though. ugh

Lisa is like an iconic character, I think. There are a lot of things I watch where there's always like a stand-out character I think about all the time because I'm cool and popular, and Lisa is def one of those. Like, she's her own walking Tumblr aesthetic blog, you know?? Like she's just a classic and she gets all the best lines
and the best bangs and she's just the best. Like I want to make a Polyvore set (#tbt?) where it's like daisy-patterned doc martens (shade), rusty scissors, a stained white tea, and a jar of babies' tears. From whence babies did these tears gather from? Whom knows! Whooooom knowwwssss!! 

To be clear: I have never actually used the Polyvore site. I just like vaguely know it's basically the shittiest aspects of Tumblr and Pintrest. I'll also like to make clear I have never used Pinterest. Though I was invited to. I hope you don't know you have to ask to be invited...

Anybleach! Lisa is the best and I'm super cliché for being obsessed with her. I'm a huge fan of ~showy~ acting and subtlety is gross and get that shit out of my face. Angelina is doing a lot here with this performance; just doing the most the worst, being extra as fucking hell and killing me softly from every fucking direction. Lisa is described as a sociopath, but...aren't socios more lowkey lol? She's all obvious with her crazy bitchness. I mean, I guess. I could see it. What with her manipulative tactics and ultimate selfishness...but I feel like these things about her are still very obvious and when I think of sociopaths, the word "obvious" doesn't spring to mind. But I don't know shit about mental illnesses and diagnoses, as I did not go to school to study this shit. Like Susanna's evaluation says she might have borderline personality disorder and she's reading symptoms and Lisa says something about how that describes everyone and I was like "lol yeah, tru tru". Wait - am I a sociopath? Is it okay to agree with Lisa?? Yo, help!! 

My favorite Lisa moment is definitely all of them haha. Ugh. No but my definite favorite moment is when she and Susanna escape Claymoore to go be princesses at Disney World and they stop by Daisy's house on the way. Like, it's just my favorite moment in the film. It's insane, and Lisa is fucking brutal. I loved Angelina's acting in this scene. Like she's ripping into Daisy and it's filled with so much hate but you could see so much of it was self-hate and it's just so perfect and if someone said that shit to me I'd want to die too. Not sure if I'd kill myself, though. Especially if I had a cool robe with money in it and some rotisserie chick up in the fridge. No, I shouldn't be...I shouldn't be joking. These are real life events that happened, oui? Idk, I should read the book maybe. But anyway lol I just think this scene is perfect and Angelina 100% deserved her oscar from the academy of trash. 

It's still crazy to me that Brittany Murphy is dead. AND EVEN CRAZIER THAT HER MOTHER ISN'T IN JAIL. Right? lol SHE KILLED HER COME ON!!! AND THE HUSBAND WAS PROBABLY IN ON IT TOO BUT THEN THE MOM PULLED THE KNIFE OUT OF BRITTANY'S BACK AND TURNED TO HER RIGHT AND JAMMED IT RIGHT INTO HIS! TELL ME I'M LYING! I'm a Brittany Murphy's death truther til I die. I'm only 30% kidding. I was never a Brittany Murphy fan when she was alive, but I don't think she was ever an unwelcome presence. She was insanely cute in Clueless, and then she got that terrible Hollywood look and it was like...okay? 
This pic is cute so I'm posting it. I don't think she did the really skinny, super-fried blonde thing until the 2000s when she was dating Ashton Kutcher and shit ugh. 

Brittany had a really sort of shaky nervous energy in all her performances, which lent well to a lot of sort of cracky characters she played. And that energy is 1,000% spot-on for Daisy in Girl. Daisy has always stuck with me as being a very disturbing character. Even though I've seen far more...horrifying movies and fucked up characters, I first saw Girl, Interrupted when I was pretty young. Probably pretty close to around the time when the movie first came out. So I doubt I was any older than eleven. Being a young girl, seeing characters portrayed in movies who were victims of sexual abuse always fucked me up. It's like a horror movie to a little girl, you know? So she always stuck in my head as being something very scary, and even rewatching a few days ago as an adult, I still got that same feeling of fear, though I know I'm safe from becoming a "daddy's girl" just by way of having aged out of that demo haha this is fun!!  

The scene where Lisa is trying to manipulate/bargain some valium out of Daisy's possession, using Susanna as a conduit/puppet, is a very revealing scene into Daisy's situation, and also super scary. I don't know if it's just me--I mean, I doubt it--but the chicken under the bed.......that's shudder-inducing, it creeps me out so much. Daisy is on some Shudder Island (sigh) shit with that mess. WHY DOESN'T SHE THROW THEM AWAY? Am I being super ignorant as fuck and offending like everyone who's ever had an eating disorder/just really loves rotisserie chicken??? She's all like "Val said I have to throw them away after I get five" or whatever. UGH WHAT? Like just her entire aesthetic is unnerving and spooky as fuck and she's making me feel hella uncomfy and if I was at Claymoore I'd be praying to based god every day, thanking him that this bitch's fucking molester pays for her to have a private room. Because seriously if she had to be my roommate I'd get an attitude. I don't have twitter, but I'd 100% open an account with the express purpose of subtweeting about this bitch. And maybe I'd @ Jimmy Fallon and tell him to just stop. Jus.t. sTop.

Obviously I really love the scene at Daisy's house not just for Lisa greatness, but for Daisy greatness as well. Brittany plays that shit so beautifully. It's tragic as shit and I want to throw up just looking at her shaky little forever on the verge of tears face. 
OMG WHEN LISA IS SITTING ON THE COUNTER LOOKING AT HER AND DAISY SEEMS SORT OF ASHAMED TO BE NEEDING THAT VALIUM SO BAD BUT ALSO TRYING TO MAINTAIN HER PRIDE BY PUTTING MONEY OUT ON THE COUNTER. God, Brittany and Angelina just really slayed this scene it's disgusting. 
UGH, STOP, YOU'RE MAKING IT TOO EASY FOR LISA TO BE ALL "YEAH I BET. WITH EVERY INCH OF HIS MANHOOD" OR WHATEVER. JESUS JUST STOP TALKING GO UPSTAIRS BUT LIKE READ A BOOK OR PLAY MUSIC DON'T--NO, NOT SKEETER DAVIS! NOT THAT!!!

Can we talk about how fucking o b v i o u s it is to select "The End of the World" to be the soundtrack to your fucking suicide? Like, it's a little on the nose, don't you think? If I had to kill myself I'd choose a One Direction song that has a too-apparent Louis solo, or "Bitch Better Have My Money", which would serve as not only my suicide soundtrack, but suicide note. I've been walking around all my life with a very "fuck you, pay me" attitude, that, unfortunately, I have never really ever been able to pull off. No one was buying it; no one paid me. "Bitch Better Have My Money" will be the ultimate fuck you to all those people not paying any attention to me at all, who will continue to not pay me after my death. Take me God please. Only the good die young, though, right? Wow I'm going to live forever haha. lol no there's no rule about bad middle aged people not dying so fall way the fuck back. 

Hmm, where has this post gone? Like, what has happened? What is...I feel like I really like this movie because I'm a nutjob and I just love watching shit that I can 100% relate to. Which crazy girl in this movie would I be? I bet an exact Buzzfeed quiz of this question exists.

I pick Rocky Dennis
I...I just wanted to make a...make a Rocky Dennis joke sigh. I'm nothing like Polly. She's sweet and probably a good person and is rocking those burns and none of these qualities apply to me in any way. If my face was burned up I'd go on a fucking killing spree. I'd become fucking Freddy Krueger, fuck that. 

If I'm anyone, I'm this bitch
Who?

Exactly.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey