Thursday, January 2, 2014

A review of American Hustle's IMDb.com trivia page

"The fight scene that takes place in the bedroom between Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence is completely improvised. A version of it had been written in the script, but the actors were struggling to connect with it, so the director ultimately decided to allow them to say what they wanted.

According to Christian Bale much of the movie was improvised. So, during the shooting of the film he noted to David O. Russell, "You realize that this is going to change the plot greatly down track." To which the director replied, "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it."

---

I wonder what Christian's face looked like when David said "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it." I hope it was like his face in The Machinist when his character is on that haunted house ride and there is all that weird sex stuff happening. I hope it was that exact face. 

I also wonder what the inital version of that scene was supposed to be. Like, the actors were struggling to connect? What the fuck were their characters initially fighting about? Maybe...in the original version Jlaw's character is obsessed with furniture polish instead of nail polish???? 

ALSO. I would totally be Christian in this situation going "Um, David, like...this is a whole entire other fucking movie. My movie wife originally was Indian and had no arms. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WE HAVE IMPROVISED SO FAR AWAY FROM THE INITIAL CONCEPT!!?!" I am just imagining Christian trying super hard not to Bale Out or whatever. But, maybe it wasn't even like that. Maybe it was all good. And I liked the fight scene and the improvisation (was Bradley humping Louis CK improvised please say yes) and the movie as a whole. But also secretly I wonder if it would have been even better if...it wasn't improvised. But...I think the title of the initial script was "American Bullshit", so...never mind. 



"Christian Bale achieved the physical traits of his character by gaining over 40 pounds, getting a comb-over and slouching his posture and ended up herniating two of his disks in the process.

David O. Russell stated that Robert De Niro didn't recognize Christian Bale on the set even after they were introduced to each other. De Niro pulled Russell aside, pointed to Bale and asked who he was. First De Niro didn't believe it was Bale but after Russell convinced him of that De Niro noted, 'Wow, he looks really different", and nodded his head as a sign of approval. Russell then had to re-introduce the two now that De Niro knew who Bale was."

---

I thought Christian was wearing a fucking fat suit. That is amazing, oh my god. I wondered a little bit in that beginning scene if maybe he did gain the weight because I know he's all methody but then I was like "Nah, that's insane. He looks ridiculous." BUT HE REALLY DID MAKE HIMSELF LOOK LIKE THIS OMG I LOVE HIM AND HE GOT THE COMBOVER AND EVERYTHING. I am very much a sucker for major appearance changes and I am all about throwing awards at that shit because I am very vain so I get really souped up about people who are willing to really ugly themselves up for a role. I eat that fucking shit up ugh. 

Also, Robert De Niro is like senile now, right? lol NO, I LOVE YOU MOLEY. I'm sorry I called you moley but you deserved it. :.) 



"Christian Bale was cast in the lead role but due to scheduling conflicts he dropped out and was replaced by Bradley Cooper with Jeremy Renner taking over Cooper's old role. After Bale's schedule cleared up he rejoined the project in the same role while Cooper reverted to playing the FBI agent and David O. Russell wrote the character of Carmine Polito for Renner."

---

I'm glad everyone was cast in the roles they were eventually cast in. Also, can David O. Russell (OR ANY NOT-SHIT DIRECTOR) please make Jeremy his new muse? He was great as Carmine. He's always great. I really want someone to become obsessed with him and write all kinds of crazy/great/angsty roles for him to play. I don't want Jeremy Renner action star because he's way too legit for that, OKAY? PLEASE SOMEONE LISTEN! Ugh this is killliinng me I can't believe he had to be Hawkeye in that piece of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit



"It was Amy Adams idea for Jennifer Lawrence to kiss her in the bathroom."

---
Cool coollcooooolcoooooolcool cool



"The script was originally titled "American Bullshit" and came in eighth place on Hollywood's 2010 Black List, which ranks unproduced screenplays."

---
Thank god it was changed. I hate that title. Though I was way more into Abscam when I thought it was called Abscam. But that was before I saw the character posters. American Hustle is pretty spot-on. 



"David O. Russell developed and expanded the role of Rosalyn specifically for Jennifer Lawrence, who drew inspiration as well as the accent for the character from watching The Real Housewives of New Jersey (2009)"

---

I loved how Jlaw's character was like a mob wife in training. Christian's character was her starter marriage, then she hooks up with a legit gangster in Jack Huston's character. I thought her interpretation was spot-on and funny and sexy in a tacky way. Actually, she could have upped up the tackiness, to be honest. Jennifer was almost too cute to pull it off, but I'll blame that on her youth. Let Rosalyn age about ten years and her skin will be cracking off into pieces on the Atlantic City boardwalk in no time! :)



"In the early '80s French director Louis Malle adapted the Abscam story into a film script entitled Moon Over Miami, with Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi set to star, with Belushi playing a conman & Aykroyd playing an FBI agent; Belushi's death in March 1982 scuttled plans for the film."

---

There is a lot going on here. Do I care about any of it? Speaking of Louis Malle...did anyone else legitimately ship Violet and Bellocq in Pretty Baby? Like, I was annoyed when Brooke Shields went to go live with her mom to be molested by her new stepdad when she could have stayed in New Orleans to keep getting molested by Keith Carradine. What a dumb ass. 



"It was Bradley Cooper's idea to give Richie DiMaso a perm-hairstyle, as well as wearing hair curlers in the scene at Richie's apartment."

---


PRAISE JESUS. Or, Bradley, I guess. 



"This is the fourth time Christian Bale has undergone an incredible body transformation and the second time he has done so in a David O. Russell film. The first was in The Machinist, in which he became extremely skinny, the opposite of what he does for this film (lost 63 pounds). Then Rescue Dawn (lost 55 pounds) and The Fighter (lost 30 pounds)."

---

Remember when I used to not care about Christian Bale? Like, he was just Batman in need of a lozenge to me. Ugh, I hate old me. What a fucking dummy. CHRISTIAN BALE IS A GODDESS. I still haven't seen Rescue Dawn, though. What the fuck am I doing? Isn't Steve Zahn in that? No, me, Steve Zahn should not be a selling point when Christian Bale is already there. SIGH



"This marks the third film collaboration between actors Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro. The previous films include Limitless (2011) and Silver Linings Playbook (2012)."

---

Alrighty. Speaking of Abbie Cornish CAN SOMEONE START APPRECIATING THIS BITCH AND GIVE HER GOOD ROLES PLEASE OKAY THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU! (Yes, thank you, Jane Campion for Bright Star, I hear you clearing your throat over there.) 



"Jeremy Renner and Elisabeth Röhm, who play Carmine and Dolly Polito, previously worked together on an episode of Angel."

---

lol omg. Let's talk about Elisabeth Röhm, because I know her from two distinct terrible fucking things: Officer Down and Transit. She plays The Wife in both "films". Officer Down is about Stephen Dorff and strippers and someone backstabbed someone or something. The only thing I really remember is Walton Goggins in a strip club being super creepy drawing pictures of the strippers as they stripped. But instead of being afraid for their lives, the strippers somehow thought this was cute. Transit is a terrible piece of nothing that I recommend if you like looking at Jim Caviezel and make huge allowances for his incredible lack of actual talent. (Like, yo, Jim, why is Jennifer Lopez showing you out in Angel Eyes? BTW, I LOVE ANGEL EYES). Anyway, this was all to say that when Ms. Röhm showed up on screen as Carmine's wife I did that familiar dance in my head of "Where...do...I know...her...from??....STEPHEN DORFF STRIPPERS! JAMES FRAIN JIM CAVIEZEL ALLIGATORS BLUE TINT!!" I hope I'm not secretly admitting I enjoyed those two travesties more than American Hustle. God help us all. 



....And because imdb trivia gave me so little about Amy (prob because she is a perfect halcyon angel upon which no dirt could be dug; not even funny anecdotes because she saves that shit for private time with herself on the toilet when she's taking a wipe-less dump) here is a glorious pic of my queen:


I will always love you. You are perfect. Please don't work with Eastwood ever again. 



I just want to end this post with a blurry pic of my babies


I love these actors so much ugh. And I really love the work they did with these two characters. I shipped these two hard. So glad things worked out well for these criminals in the end! exes and ohs 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey