Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Yelling to the Sky (2011)

I watched this because I thought it was one of those stepdad molests his stepdaughter movies. I read like one review of the film, but either the review was wrong, or I have reading comprehension issues (mmm prob the latter lesbihonest), because this is not that. As soon as the movie came on...I was put off. By Zoë Kravitz's "acting", and just the horribleness of these people immediately jumping her character ugh. But then Antonique Smith comes through to punch the shit out of Dennis from receiving and I felt less annoyed. It went from "mmm...do I want to turn this off?" to "fine, I'll proceed". 

Ugh can we talk about Antonique Smith? So she was totally the star of the show for me. Or...maybe it was between her and Jason Clarke. I loved how she was introduced, 
pregnant and savagely defending her sister from bullies - then we see her at home shortly after, getting punked by her dad, and it's like an entirely different person. 

Okay, waitwaitwait. So...I guess this movie is about the O'Hara family - Sweetness, specifically. Sweetness, played by Zoë, is a senior in high school, right? Antonique plays her sister, Ola, and she's ~older~, but I have no idea how much. Después high school age. And she's pregnant, by some dude...presumably, ugh. The molesty foster aunt or whatever from Antwone Fisher plays their seemingly mentally ill mom, and Jason Clarke plays their dad. 

Jason Clarke's character Gordon is an alcoholic and abusive and just, ugh. He hits his girls and wife, and he yells at them. Also, he's constantly disappearing for days on end. The O'Hara household is a mess. And for Sweetness, things aren't any better at school than they are at home. She's a quiet type and she's being sort of mercilessly bullied by a ~gang~ of girls, headed by Gabourey Sidibe. This movie was...upsetting. Also, some things seemed too familiar to me, so I felt hella uncomfy in nautica, b. 

Happily! I did not relate when Sweetness started selling drugs, though that did not make me worry any less for her. I really thought I was...not going to get invested in this movie. It sort of seemed like a run-of-the-mill lameish indie, and in a lot of ways it was. Like, it wasn't doing anything really ~new~, and I think I'd best describe its overall quality as "underwhelming"? "Lukewarm"?? Did the person who made this movie also make Pariah? Because this really reminded me of that, but lesser. I could...google that information. Ugh, let me go see. Hmm. Well the woman who wrote/directed this film, Victoria Mahoney, did not make Pariah, but I think these two movies share producers, which, to me, means nothing!

But anyway, despite not expecting to, I completely felt some emotions. Maybe there were some tears happening, or maybe my eyeballs were sweating - we'll never know! Also, as the movie was going on, Zoë's acting became less tragic-seeming?? Like I accidentally thought it was almost good in her final scene with Jason. I'm still not here for her as an actress, though. Like, she's super pretty, and good for those camera shots where someone is staring off mournfully into the distance, or despondently out a window, or blankly anywhere. Like, she got that. Keep up the good work, Zoë!! But seriously, acting MVPs here were Jason and Antonique, and now I care more about both of them. They probably feel so #blessed by my acknowledgment of their existence. Also, honorable mention to Victoria Mahoney for doing some things really right. For instance, introducing this horrendous individual
into my life. Yes, two screenshots. Because I just can't fucking believe it lol. imdb tells me this creature's name is Billy Kay. lol omg he was in L.I.E. I'm never fucking watching that movie ever again, not even for my new love Billy. Wait let me see what else he's been in like is it worth developing an obsession over him or nah?? OMG HE PLAYED "BABY" IN 3 MEN AND A BABY. WAS HE THE TITULAR BABY OR NAH?? ugh now I have to rewatch that shit to see if he played the title baby or just like some other random baby in the movie lol you think I am fucking kidding but no ma'am I am being serious why am i like this please send help 

okay so back to me arbitrarily thanking Victoria Mahoney for shit. Thank you for...oh!
This^. Ughhhhkmdlk. And I felt weird, too. Because of previously, when he had hit her for, in my opinion, no fucking reason. Well, idek if I need to have that ~in my opinion~~ there, like don't hit people?? Anti-violence blog unless it's absolutely necessary. Like if someone gives you a Capri Sun but it's warm? Nah, they gettin' those hands. Understandable. BUT ANYWAY THANK U FOR MAKING JASON'S CHARACTER START TO BE LESS SHITTY TOWARDS THE END. Eventho I totally felt like Sweetness, like "oh, now you wanna be a dad". But this movie really could've kept him as a piece of shit, and they didn't go in that direction, which I'm glad about, because seriously I only needed to see him pop awf once and I was fucking over it. So good job correcting this nigga x-tra quick. 

Oh, um and ty for the scene where Sweetness is putting like peroxide on her dad's wounds and helping him while he stitches up.
She had an attitude - deservedly so - about it, but I still thought this scene was cute. And I forget but Jason Clarke had some little tears going on, right? This is a pro man tears blog awl the way baby. Ugh, shut up omg. But yes^ to this scene thank you for existing. 

And for the pièce de résistance 
THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THIS RIDICULOUS PICTURE OF JASON CLARKE AS PROBABLY LIKE A SIX YEAR OLD LITTLE GIRL. what when where how and why. Is this real or computer generated? Ugh please be real. LOOK AT HIIIIIIIIIM 

So anyway, though I lowkey hated this movie lol, there were still some super-superficial things I loved. Well, maybe "loved" is too strong a word for someone as dead inside and passively killing herself every day as me! Let's say...didn't not like, instead. I didn't not like that pic of Jason Clarke as a lil bebe. And then those other things I mentioned ugh. http:// www dot Keep up the good work dot com slash sarcasm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey